Index to libraries?

Hendrik Boom-2
There wouldn't happen to be an index telling one which libraries
define which symbols, would there?

For example, if I'm told

alvm.o: In function `llvm::Function::Create(llvm::FunctionType const*, llvm::GlobalValue::LinkageTypes, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, llvm::Module*)':
/farhome/hendrik/dv/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Function.h:118: undefined reference to `llvm::User::operator new(unsigned int, unsigned int)'

or

/farhome/hendrik/dv/lang/alvm/alvm.cpp:69: undefined reference to `llvm::FunctionType::get(llvm::Type const*, std::vector<llvm::Type const*, std::allocator<llvm::Type const*> > const&, bool)'

or even just

/farhome/hendrik/dv/lang/alvm/alvm.cpp:68: undefined reference to `llvm::Type::Int32Ty'

how should I go about finding the proper library to link with?

-- hendrik

Re: Index to libraries?

Gordon Henriksen-3
Hi Hendrick,

All of the directories under llvm/lib correspond directly to the
libraries that are built, so you should be able to just grep for the
symbol definitions and add the corresponding library. Use llvm-config
to discover transitive dependencies if possible.

On Jun 6, 2008, at 12:20, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> There wouldn't happen to be an index telling one which libraries
> define which symbols, would there?
>
> For example, if I'm told
>
> alvm.o: In function `llvm::Function::Create(llvm::FunctionType
> const*, llvm::GlobalValue::LinkageTypes, std::basic_string<char,
> std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&,
> llvm::Module*)':
> /farhome/hendrik/dv/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Function.h:118: undefined
> reference to `llvm::User::operator new(unsigned int, unsigned int)'
>
> or
>
> /farhome/hendrik/dv/lang/alvm/alvm.cpp:69: undefined reference to
> `llvm::FunctionType::get(llvm::Type const*, std::vector<llvm::Type
> const*, std::allocator<llvm::Type const*> > const&, bool)'
>
> or even just
>
> /farhome/hendrik/dv/lang/alvm/alvm.cpp:68: undefined reference to
> `llvm::Type::Int32Ty'
>
> how should I go about finding the proper library to link with?
>
> -- hendrik

— Gordon

Re: Index to libraries?

Hendrik Boom-2
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:20:29 -0400, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

> Hi Hendrick,
>
> All of the directories under llvm/lib correspond directly to the
> libraries that are built, so you should be able to just grep for the
> symbol definitions and add the corresponding library. Use llvm-config to
> discover transitive dependencies if possible.

Thanks.  By following your instructions I managed to establish that my
problems lay elsewhere.  That, in turn, enabled me to fix them.

The hardest place in a program to find a bug is anywhere the bug isn't.

-- hendrik