How to enable cbe as a supported target?

How to enable cbe as a supported target?

liuml07
Hi all,

I met an error when I run the llc command to transform a bitcode file to C code (source to source):
$ llc -march=c -o foo.c foo.ll
However, it said "llc: error: invalid target 'c'." I checked the 'llc --version' only to find that there is no c as target. The cpp was there, which makes calls against the LLVM C++ API. But that's not what I want.

I configured my LLVM with default options, thus I supposed the 'cbe' should have been enabled as a supported target. Nevertheless, I tried to enable it explicitly:
$ ../configure --enable-targets=cbe
It occurred the error: "configure: error: Unrecognized target cbe"

Any clue?

Thank you.
--
Mingliang LIU (刘明亮 in Chinese)

PACMAN Group,  Dept. of Computer Science & Technology
Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Email: [hidden email]

Re: How to enable cbe as a supported target?

Arnold Schwaighofer
The C Backend was  remove in 3.1
(http://llvm.org/releases/3.1/docs/ReleaseNotes.html):

"Major Changes and Removed Features
The C backend has been removed. It had numerous problems, to the point
of not being able to compile any nontrivial program."

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Mingliang LIU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I met an error when I run the llc command to transform a bitcode file to C
> code (source to source):
> $ llc -march=c -o foo.c foo.ll
> However, it said "llc: error: invalid target 'c'." I checked the 'llc
> --version' only to find that there is no c as target. The cpp was there,
> which makes calls against the LLVM C++ API. But that's not what I want.
>
> I configured my LLVM with default options, thus I supposed the 'cbe' should
> have been enabled as a supported target. Nevertheless, I tried to enable it
> explicitly:
> $ ../configure --enable-targets=cbe
> It occurred the error: "configure: error: Unrecognized target cbe"
>
> Any clue?
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Mingliang LIU (刘明亮 in Chinese)
>
> PACMAN Group,  Dept. of Computer Science & Technology
> Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
> Email: [hidden email]
> Homepage: http://pacman.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/~liuml07/

Re: How to enable cbe as a supported target?

liuml07
Hi Arnold,

Thank you. I googled but missed the release notes.

Regards.

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Arnold Schwaighofer <[hidden email]> wrote:
The C Backend was  remove in 3.1
(http://llvm.org/releases/3.1/docs/ReleaseNotes.html):

"Major Changes and Removed Features
The C backend has been removed. It had numerous problems, to the point
of not being able to compile any nontrivial program."

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Mingliang LIU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I met an error when I run the llc command to transform a bitcode file to C
> code (source to source):
> $ llc -march=c -o foo.c foo.ll
> However, it said "llc: error: invalid target 'c'." I checked the 'llc
> --version' only to find that there is no c as target. The cpp was there,
> which makes calls against the LLVM C++ API. But that's not what I want.
>
> I configured my LLVM with default options, thus I supposed the 'cbe' should
> have been enabled as a supported target. Nevertheless, I tried to enable it
> explicitly:
> $ ../configure --enable-targets=cbe
> It occurred the error: "configure: error: Unrecognized target cbe"
>
> Any clue?
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Mingliang LIU (刘明亮 in Chinese)
>
> PACMAN Group,  Dept. of Computer Science & Technology
> Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
> Email: [hidden email]
> Homepage: http://pacman.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/~liuml07/

Mingliang LIU (刘明亮 in Chinese)

PACMAN Group,  Dept. of Computer Science & Technology
Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Email: [hidden email]

Re: How to enable cbe as a supported target?

陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen)
On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 10:05:03AM +0800, Mingliang LIU wrote:
> Hi Arnold,
>
> Thank you. I googled but missed the release notes.
>
> Regards.

  Someone else out there tried to bring cbe back. You can search the ML
archieve and reach them out.

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,

Re: How to enable cbe as a supported target?

Roel Jordans
Hi Arnold,

On 06/12/12 08:50, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 10:05:03AM +0800, Mingliang LIU wrote:
>> Hi Arnold,
>>
>> Thank you. I googled but missed the release notes.
>>
>> Regards.
>
>    Someone else out there tried to bring cbe back. You can search the ML
> archieve and reach them out.

That would be me.

> Regards,
> chenwj

I have posted some of my initial ideas on the list in August [1] and a
set of patches against the trunk (at that time) in November [2].

I haven't had much time to spend on developing my patches further but I
am planning to do so as soon as I get more time (which should be early
next year)

Regards,
  Roel

[1] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2012-August/052858.html
[2] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2012-November/056089.html

Re: How to enable cbe as a supported target?

liuml07
Hi Roel,

Glad to know. I'll give it a try later.

Thank you.