How to contact LLVM admins?

Greg Fitzgerald
I am not a member of the llvm-admin email list and on the description
of that page it says, "DO NOT MAIL THIS LIST!"  So how do we contact
the LLVM admins?  I'm hoping to add the '--use-log-author' flag to the
git mirrors'.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Greg Fitzgerald
Ping

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not a member of the llvm-admin email list and on the description
> of that page it says, "DO NOT MAIL THIS LIST!"  So how do we contact
> the LLVM admins?  I'm hoping to add the '--use-log-author' flag to the
> git mirrors'.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Chris Lattner-2
You can email the list, what url says that?

-Chris

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:31 AM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ping
>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am not a member of the llvm-admin email list and on the description
>> of that page it says, "DO NOT MAIL THIS LIST!"  So how do we contact
>> the LLVM admins?  I'm hoping to add the '--use-log-author' flag to the
>> git mirrors'.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Greg Fitzgerald
Hi Chris,

> what url says that?

> You can email the list

I sent 3 emails to the list Friday.  Maybe one has to be a member of
the list for the message to go through?  else silently piped to
/dev/null?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith
It's in the first section of the list info [1].

> This is an internal list for LLVM administrators only.
>
> DO NOT MAIL THIS LIST!
>
> To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the llvm-admin Archives. (The current archive is only available to the list members.)
>

> On 2015 Jan 20, at 15:41, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You can email the list, what url says that?
>
> -Chris
>
>> On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:31 AM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ping
>>
>>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am not a member of the llvm-admin email list and on the description
>>> of that page it says, "DO NOT MAIL THIS LIST!"  So how do we contact
>>> the LLVM admins?  I'm hoping to add the '--use-log-author' flag to the
>>> git mirrors'.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Greg

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Diego Novillo-3
I had this problem last year. Chris asked me to ignore the warning. I
don't recall if they were going to get rid of it or if it's a way to
discourage high traffic on that list.

Diego.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's in the first section of the list info [1].

>> This is an internal list for LLVM administrators only.
>>
>> DO NOT MAIL THIS LIST!
>>
>> To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the llvm-admin Archives. (The current archive is only available to the list members.)
>>

>> On 2015 Jan 20, at 15:41, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can email the list, what url says that?
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>>> On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:31 AM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ping

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Greg Fitzgerald
Below is a copy of the email I sent to llvm-admin.  If it is lost in
the ether, can you reply on this thread?  There's an LLD contributor
looking to add an ARMv7 backend.  It's a significant contribution so
I'd like to land the patch under the correct author.

Hi LLVM admins,

I'd like to commit patches on behalf of others, but I'm not
comfortable simply adding "Patch by <name>" to the log message.  When
people use "git blame", they will see my name instead of the original
author.

We can fix this by adding the '--use-log-author' flag anywhere the git
mirror currently invokes "git svn fetch".  This will cause git-svn to
look for the text "From: <email>" in the commit message and use it to
set the Author field in the git commit.  Committers can set the "From:
<email>" text by hand or by using '--add-author-from' when invoking
"git svn dcommit".

Could someone please upgrade git-svn to a version supporting this flag
and update the git mirrors to call "git svn --use-log-author fetch"?

Thanks,
Greg

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>> what url says that?

>> You can email the list
>
> I sent 3 emails to the list since Friday.  Maybe one has to be a member of
> the list for the message to go through?  else silently piped to
> /dev/null?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Tanya Lattner-2
This should be the list to use. I will see if I can change the description. The list was used differently long ago before llvmdev became higher traffic.

-Tanya

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 6:30 PM, Diego Novillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had this problem last year. Chris asked me to ignore the warning. I
> don't recall if they were going to get rid of it or if it's a way to
> discourage high traffic on that list.
>

> Diego.
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's in the first section of the list info [1].

>>> This is an internal list for LLVM administrators only.
>>>
>>> DO NOT MAIL THIS LIST!
>>>
>>> To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the llvm-admin Archives. (The current archive is only available to the list members.)
>>

>>> On 2015 Jan 20, at 15:41, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> You can email the list, what url says that?
>>>
>>> -Chris

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Chandler Carruth-2

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This wouldn't fix any of the historical commits made using the original pattern, and IMO is no better or worse than the current pattern.

We have had no trouble using "Patch by <name>" as the form of attribution for a lot of years with contributions from a wide range of companies. So I'm not really inclined to change a process which leaves the system of record *exactly* the same (a textual acknowledgement of attribution) and only makes one mirror of it superficially better.

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Greg Fitzgerald
> We have had no trouble using "Patch by <name>" as the form of attribution for a
> lot of years with contributions from a wide range of companies. So I'm not really
> inclined to change a process which leaves the system of record *exactly* the
>  same (a textual acknowledgement of attribution) and only makes one mirror of
> it superficially better.

Adding --use-log-author to "git svn fetch" will have no effect unless
the committer either adds --add-author-from to "git svn dcommit" or
does a one-time setup:

    $ git config --global config svn.addAuthorFrom true

You can continue to use "Patch by <name>" if neither you nor the
author care.  If correct attribution on the git mirror is important to
*either* party, then the git mirror must be configured with
--use-log-author.  As a committer, correct attribution on the git
mirror is important to me for ethical and practical reasons.  It
should probably be important to me for legal reasons too.  :)

Thanks,
Greg

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have had no trouble using "Patch by <name>" as the form of attribution for a
> lot of years with contributions from a wide range of companies. So I'm not really
> inclined to change a process which leaves the system of record *exactly* the
>  same (a textual acknowledgement of attribution) and only makes one mirror of
> it superficially better.

Adding --use-log-author to "git svn fetch" will have no effect unless
the committer either adds --add-author-from to "git svn dcommit" or
does a one-time setup:

    $ git config --global config svn.addAuthorFrom true

You can continue to use "Patch by <name>" if neither you nor the
author care.  If correct attribution on the git mirror is important to
*either* party, then the git mirror must be configured with
--use-log-author.  As a committer, correct attribution on the git
mirror is important to me for ethical and practical reasons.  It
should probably be important to me for legal reasons too.  :)

Not having different attribution mechanisms or creating any appearance that one might be more or less important than another is important to me.

Re: How to contact LLVM admins?

Renato Golin-2
On 22 January 2015 at 07:50, Chandler Carruth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not having different attribution mechanisms or creating any appearance that
> one might be more or less important than another is important to me.

I think the worst part is that it'll give people the confidence that
git-blame is correct, and get people to believe that previous commits
(with "Patch by" comments) were actually made by the committers. This
would in turn, make me check the commit log anyway, which defies the
purpose.

I think I agree with Chandler that the benefits are not enough to
warrant such a change.

cheers,
--renato