HOWTO on LLVM with ....

Ted Neward

Is there an explicit document describing how to do LLVM with Cygwin? Or with Solaris Dev Express?

And is LLVM considered a “safe” replacement for gcc on MacOS? In other words, if I’m doing some ObjC and C/C++ on the MacOS, if I drop LLVM in, is it going to create some strange kinds of heartache later on?

Ted Neward

Java, .NET, XML Services

Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing

http://www.tedneward.com

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: HOWTO on LLVM with ....

Tanya Lattner-2

On Jan 9, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Ted Neward wrote:

Is there an explicit document describing how to do LLVM with Cygwin? Or with Solaris Dev Express?

No, not really. There are some docs on mingw and LLVM (see mailing list and the wiki) and some posts about cygwin on the mailing list. Nothing official for either.

And is LLVM considered a “safe” replacement for gcc on MacOS? In other words, if I’m doing some ObjC and C/C++ on the MacOS, if I drop LLVM in, is it going to create some strange kinds of heartache later on?

I'm not sure what you mean by heartache. LLVM is used to compile many programs (see the Nightly Tester for a list of programs and benchmarks that are compiled every night). The best thing you can do is try it out and see how it works for you. If you did happen to come across a bug, the advantage of LLVM is that they usually get fixed very quickly.

-Tanya

Ted Neward

Java, .NET, XML Services

Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing

http://www.tedneward.com

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: HOWTO on LLVM with ....

Kelly Wilson-2
Hey Ted,

I managed to get LLVM and clang to compile and run on Nexenta
(OpenSolaris with GNU tools). llvm-gcc was a pain and I didn't have time
to set up a proper config/build process for it. Check here:

http://www.nabble.com/LLVM-builds-on-x86-64-Solaris-td13844820.html

I sent Chris Lattner a patch file with a few dozen changes for
clang/LLVM a few weeks back. I don't think they made it into the code
base yet, but there isn't much demand for LLVM on OpenSolaris ;)

I could send you the patch file if you really need it, or maybe Chris
still has it. Clang won't generate code for much right now and llvm-gcc
isn't easy to get running, but it can be done.

Anyways, if it can be done on Nexenta, I imagine it can be done for
OpenSolaris Dev Express.

Thanks,
K.Wilson