Google Summer of Code

John Criswell-5
Dear All,

Has someone registered LLVM as an organization for Google Summer of Code
2015?  I'm interested in mentoring a GSoC student this summer.

-- John T.

--
John Criswell
Assistant Professor

Re: Google Summer of Code

Anton Korobeynikov-2
John,

Yes, I'm taking care about application as usual.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Eric Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe Anton was going to do so.
>

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015, 5:14 PM John Criswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Has someone registered LLVM as an organization for Google Summer of Code
>> 2015?  I'm interested in mentoring a GSoC student this summer.
>>
>> -- John T.
>>
>> --
>> John Criswell
>> Assistant Professor
>> Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
>> http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov

Re: Google Summer of Code

John Criswell-5
On 2/17/15 3:47 AM, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> John,
>
> Yes, I'm taking care about application as usual.

Thanks, Anton!

-- John T.

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Eric Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I believe Anton was going to do so.
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015, 5:14 PM John Criswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Has someone registered LLVM as an organization for Google Summer of Code
>>> 2015?  I'm interested in mentoring a GSoC student this summer.
>>>
>>> -- John T.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Criswell
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
>>> http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell

Re: Google Summer of Code

Vassil Vassilev
On 17/02/15 09:47, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> John,
>
> Yes, I'm taking care about application as usual.
I saw the the LLVM mentoring org was accepted. Congrats!
Anton, could you tell me what is the procedure of submitting a proposal
for a project (I will be the mentor)?
Many thanks,
Vassil

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Eric Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I believe Anton was going to do so.
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015, 5:14 PM John Criswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Has someone registered LLVM as an organization for Google Summer of Code
>>> 2015?  I'm interested in mentoring a GSoC student this summer.
>>>
>>> -- John T.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Criswell
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
>>> http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell

Re: Google Summer of Code

Anton Korobeynikov-2
Please provide a patch to Open Projects list.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Vassil Vassilev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/02/15 09:47, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> Yes, I'm taking care about application as usual.
>
> I saw the the LLVM mentoring org was accepted. Congrats!
> Anton, could you tell me what is the procedure of submitting a proposal for
> a project (I will be the mentor)?
> Many thanks,
> Vassil
>

>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Eric Christopher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe Anton was going to do so.

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov

Re: Google Summer of Code

Vassil Vassilev
Hi Anton,
   (CC-ing the people who might be interested to review)
   I am attaching the patch.
Many thanks,
Vassil
On 04/03/15 23:00, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:

> Please provide a patch to Open Projects list.
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Vassil Vassilev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 17/02/15 09:47, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Yes, I'm taking care about application as usual.
>> I saw the the LLVM mentoring org was accepted. Congrats!
>> Anton, could you tell me what is the procedure of submitting a proposal for
>> a project (I will be the mentor)?
>> Many thanks,
>> Vassil

CopyPasteDetectorGSoC15.diff (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Google Summer of Code

Anna Zaks-4

+Easily, some of the code snippets end up being copied dozens of
+times, which leads to worse maintainability, understandability and logical
+design.

The project description stresses code maintainability and logical design more than bug finding due to omissions in copy and pasted code. Reading this made me think of a check that would suggest people to replace copy and pasted code with a function call or something like that... Examples do stress the specific bugs that could be found, which is what I had in mind:

+   Copy-paste infrastructure could be used to build other "goodies". Some
+examples and possible applications are:

Is this intentional? If not, maybe we could rephrase a bit with more emphasis on bug finding. I would also make it a requirement to use the infrastructure for bug detection.

Thanks for driving this!
Anna.

On 09/03/15 21:52, Anna Zaks wrote:

+Easily, some of the code snippets end up being copied dozens of
+times, which leads to worse maintainability, understandability and logical
+design.
Should be better now.

The project description stresses code maintainability and logical design more than bug finding due to omissions in copy and pasted code. Reading this made me think of a check that would suggest people to replace copy and pasted code with a function call or something like that... Examples do stress the specific bugs that could be found, which is what I had in mind:

+   Copy-paste infrastructure could be used to build other "goodies". Some
+examples and possible applications are:

Is this intentional? If not, maybe we could rephrase a bit with more emphasis on bug finding. I would also make it a requirement to use the infrastructure for bug detection.
Well, partially yes, I wanted to have the project description as broad as possible so that interested students to specialized in a direction, in which they are most comfortable. Because IMO the project is bigger than 1 usual GSoC project.
I rephrased it to make it more focused towards bugs. Could you elaborate on the "I would also make it a requirement to use the infrastructure for bug detection.", please?

BTW, please feel free to submit a patch to the patch (:)), if you think something else requires fixing or better wording.

Thanks for driving this!
Sure, thank you for reviewing!
Vassil

wrote:
I believe Anton was going to do so.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015, 5:14 PM John Criswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All,

Has someone registered LLVM as an organization for Google Summer of Code
2015?  I'm interested in mentoring a GSoC student this summer.

-- John T.

--
John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell

A: http://five.sentenc.es

<CopyPasteDetectorGSoC15.diff>

CopyPasteDetectorGSoC15_v2.diff (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Google Summer of Code

Anna Zaks-4

On Mar 10, 2015, at 1:03 AM, Vassil Vassilev <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I would prefer not to have pure infrastructure, but rather develop infrastructure along with uses of it. Bug finding is one such use. That would allow to set clear goals for the students and allow for better qualification of the infrastructure.

(However, I see your point about making it open to students that are interested in using this infrastructure for other projects.)

A: http://five.sentenc.es

On 10/03/15 19:13, Anna Zaks wrote:

[...]

I see your point and I agree. I really want the proposal up soon. Can we discuss that in IRC, I think it would be easier for me? My nickname is vvassilev.
Many thanks,
Vassil

A: http://five.sentenc.es

On Mar 11, 2015, at 2:14 AM, Vassil Vassilev <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I am not going to be online in the next couple of hours. I would just rewrite this a bit to make it clear that we expect some useful features being developed along with the copy and paste detection with bug finding as an example. Writing those features would be part of the project.

If a student is interested in a feature other than bug finding, I’d expect them to specify what that is when they apply. (As far as I recall, the students also write proposals. I am not sure what is the workflow when they reply to our proposal.)

I think the proposal is generally good. I’d just emphasize feature driven development in the goals.

Anna.
Many thanks,
Vassil

A: http://five.sentenc.es

On 11/03/15 17:14, Anna Zaks wrote:

[...]

Maybe Anton knows better. AFAIK the organization proposals give the idea of what can be done, later the students and the mentors make a proposal and based on that a slot for the student is allocated and a student is picked up.

I think the proposal is generally good. I’d just emphasize feature driven development in the goals.
Thanks, see the 3rd version attached.
Vassil

Anna.
Many thanks,
Vassil

A: http://five.sentenc.es

<CopyPasteDetectorGSoC15.diff>

<CopyPasteDetectorGSoC15_v2.diff>

CopyPasteDetectorGSoC15_v3.diff (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Google Summer of Code

Anton Korobeynikov-2
> Maybe Anton knows better. AFAIK the organization proposals give the idea of
> what can be done, later the students and the mentors make a proposal and
> based on that a slot for the student is allocated and a student is picked
> up.
So far we never explicitly required students to always select a
project from the list. If he / she can propose something useful and
there is a mentor around - why not?

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov