GSoC09 potential participant

Rodrigo Dominguez-5
Hi,

I am a PhD student interested in participating in GSoC09. Being compilers my
area of research, LLVM had got my attention until I read this last post:

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2009-March/021060.html

I would like if one of the official LLVM Developers
(http://llvm.org/developers.cgi) could confirm this. I understand if you are
looking for students who can hit the ground running and contribute
immediately to LLVM. I just want to make sure this is the official view of
the LLVM team (I could have written that last post myself). Not being
familiar with the code base that would disqualify me as a participant.

On the other hand, I thought the purpose of GSoC was to bring new people on
board and encourage the participation of newcomers on open-source projects.
But I may be wrong.

Thank you,

Rodrigo

Re: GSoC09 potential participant

Tanya Lattner-2

> I am a PhD student interested in participating in GSoC09. Being compilers my
> area of research, LLVM had got my attention until I read this last post:
>
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2009-March/021060.html
>
> I would like if one of the official LLVM Developers
> (http://llvm.org/developers.cgi) could confirm this. I understand if you are
> looking for students who can hit the ground running and contribute
> immediately to LLVM. I just want to make sure this is the official view of
> the LLVM team (I could have written that last post myself). Not being
> familiar with the code base that would disqualify me as a participant.
>
> On the other hand, I thought the purpose of GSoC was to bring new people on
> board and encourage the participation of newcomers on open-source projects.
> But I may be wrong.

Rodrigo,

I've clarified the statement in a previous email, please take a look.

Thanks,
Tanya

Re: GSoC09 potential participant

Anton Korobeynikov-2
Hi, Rodrigo

> On the other hand, I thought the purpose of GSoC was to bring new people on
> board and encourage the participation of newcomers on open-source projects.
> But I may be wrong.
No, there is no strict requirement, that applicant contribute to LLVM
before the SoC. Please check
http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/llvm for typical
application template.

There is only 1 strict requirement - every application *should* be
discussed in the mailing list before submission.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov