[Fwd: Re: using dsa]

John Criswell
Forgot to hit "Reply All."

-- John T.

Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
> What versions of llvm and llvm-poolalloc should I check out of cvs, in
> order to use DSA?  In a previous post John Criswell suggested checking
> llvm and llvm-poolalloc out of cvs using the -r release_19 flag.
> However, there were several post later that said that changes should
> not be made to the release_19 branch.
The release_19 branch of llvm-poolalloc should compile with the
release_19 branch of llvm.  It works on our Linux/i386 systems in our
group.  Alternatively, if you only need DSA (and not pool allocation),
you can just fetch the RELEASE_19 tag of llvm.

As far as using branches go, anyone can checkout out and use a release
branch.  Users with commit access to the CVS repository are not allowed
to add or remove features from a release branch but are allowed to
commit bug fixes to a release branch.  If you have commit access and
need to make enhancements to DSA or Pool Allocation, please let me know;
we can probably set up a separate development branch for you to use.

> At any rate, I've not seen any update on which versions of llvm and
> llvm-poolalloc compile with each other.  Could someone please let me
> know?  I tried using the -r release_19 flag (as was originally
> suggested), but that version of LLVM fails to compile.  I get the
> following error:
I did a clean checkout of the release_19 branch and got the same
problem.  It seems that the following line in tools/llvm-config/Makefile
is doing it:

$(FinalLibDeps): find-cycles.pl $(LibDeps)
  $(Echo) "Finding cyclic dependencies between LLVM libraries."
  $(Verb) $(PERL) $< < $(LibDeps) > $@ || rm -f $@

So, it's generating the FinalLibDeps.txt file, but because the perl
script returns 1, it then deletes it.

Reid (or someone else knowledgeable with llvm-config), is this correct
behavior?  Is llvm-config exiting with status 1 because it found a
cycle, or is this a bug?

-- John T.

> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/lefever/work/llvm-release_19/tools/llvm-config'
> llvm[1]: Regenerating LibDeps.txt
> llvm[1]: Finding cyclic dependencies between LLVM libraries.
> find-cycles.pl: Circular dependency between *.a files:
> find-cycles.pl:   libLLVMCore.a libLLVMSupport.a
> llvm[1]: Building llvm-config script.
> cat:
> /home/lefever/work/llvm-release_19/tools/llvm-config/FinalLibDeps.txt:
> No such file or directory
> make[1]: ***
> [/home/lefever/work/llvm-release_19/Debug/bin/llvm-config] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/lefever/work/llvm-release_19/tools/llvm-config'
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> Regards,
> Ryan

Re: [Fwd: Re: using dsa]

Ryan M. Lefever
Thanks for the reply John.  My goal is to use DSA from the latest stable
branch of llvm-poolalloc and whatever branch of llvm works with that
version llvm-poolalloc.  As you had previously suggested, I had check
out the release_19 versions of llvm and llvm-poolalloc.  However, when I
did a cvs update today, I came across the problem in which the
release_19 version of llvm failed to compile.

Reid or whoever else, do you have any insight into the cyclic dependency
problem that is causing the release_19 branch of llvm to fail to compile?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan M. Lefever  [http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~lefever]