Forwarded to llvm list ...

Mark ONeill

This was originally sent to Vikram Adve -- I have forwarded it to the list
as per his suggestion ...

Regards

Mark O'Neill

Re: Forwarded to llvm list ...

John Criswell
Mark ONeill wrote:

> This was originally sent to Vikram Adve -- I have forwarded it to the list
> as per his suggestion ...
>

> Regards
>
> Mark O'Neill

This would be a very easy change.  I believe the shell script is
generated by the gccld program (llvm/tools/gccld).  It should be pretty
simple to change it to do what you describe.

If you want to make the change yourself, test it, and then supply a
patch to the list, that would be great.  We'd be happy to incorporate
it.  Just make sure that standard bourne shell (as found on Solaris, for
example) supports the -a option you describe.

Otherwise, please feel free to file a bug report requesting the feature
at http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/bugs and one of us will look into it.

-- John T.

> ..
>
> exec -a <app> $lli
>
> ..
>
> e.g. If I do llvm-gcc -o <app> <app>.c ????
>

> I use named tracking of processes so if the "binbary" name as seen by ps
> etc actually matches <app> this would be very useful. I could add as a
> post processing step, but the logical place seems to be in LLVM ...
>
> Sorry to bother you, but if I can get this fixed, I can handle the rest of
> my integration ...
>

> Regards
>
> Mark O'Neill

John T. Criswell
Research Programmer
"It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.

Re: Forwarded to llvm list ...

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Mark ONeill wrote:
> If the application to be invoked is called <app> how hard would it be to
> change that line in the shell script to:
> ..
> exec -a <app> $lli
> ..
> e.g. If I do llvm-gcc -o <app> <app>.c ????

That would be very easy.  Just modify EmitShellScript in
tools/gccld/gccld.cpp.  You might also want to pass "-fake-argv0=<app>" to
lli, which will cause the app's argv[0] to be set to the appropriate
string (if the app itself looks at its argv[0]).