Dwarf Support - Early Bird Edition

Jim Laskey
Chris asked me to write up "LLVM Developer's Guide to Dwarf Support"
for LLVM maintainers.  We are still in early stages, but we thought
we'd get it out there for the "need to bleeders."  At some point this
information will be formalized and added to the LLVM documentation.

The enclosed document gives specific instructions for adding source
line number support to a target.  This support is reasonably stable.
The AsmPrinter/DwarfWriter infrastructure is pretty close to it's
final form, so as new features are added, you should get them for
free (we hope.)

For the adventurous, a very rough form of global variable support is
present.  This is not in it's final form.  Just  a proof of concept.

If you have any questions, post them back to this mailing list.  Not
that I don't like direct mail, but chances are that your issues are
also someone else's.

Adding Dwarf Support To Targets.rtf (11K) Download Attachment

Placing globals in specific sections

Yossi Kreinin
Hi!

The LLVM Bytecode File Format specifies an optional SectionID attribute
for globals. I didn't find a matching attribute in the LLVM source code.
Code such as:

   int a __attribute__ ((section ("A_SECTION")));

compiles with llvm-gcc, but apparently the section information is
stripped (the object file doesn't contain "A_SECTION").

Is the SectionID feature implemented or just defined?

TIA,
Yossi

Re: Placing globals in specific sections

Chris Lattner
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Yossi Kreinin wrote:

> The LLVM Bytecode File Format specifies an optional SectionID attribute
> for globals. I didn't find a matching attribute in the LLVM source code.
> Code such as:
>
>  int a __attribute__ ((section ("A_SECTION")));
>
> compiles with llvm-gcc, but apparently the section information is
> stripped (the object file doesn't contain "A_SECTION").
>
> Is the SectionID feature implemented or just defined?

The old/traditional llvm-gcc C front-end doesn't honor section attributes.
The new one does, but it is not "stable" on all targets.  If you'd like to
try it out, let me know and I can give you instructions for use.