Demo Script Paths

Reid Spencer-2
Hello,

I'm trying to get the demo script to run llvm2cpp so that people can get
familiar with the LLVM C++ API through the online demo.  However, it
seems that the path used doesn't include llvm2cpp (not updated in a
while?).  The demo script currently uses these paths on Zion:

/home/vadve/criswell/box/x86/llvm-gcc/bin/
/home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/Release/bin
/home/vadve/gaeke/bin
/home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/projects/Stacker/Release/bin

I'm not sure what the state of John's llvm-gcc is, but using a moving
target is not a good idea. Also, its likely that Brian's directories
haven't been updated in erm .. a year?

It would be nice if we had a "tools-only" build of LLVM available on the
server that is updated, say, once per week?  I'd set it up myself, but I
don't have access.

At the very least, can we get some modern tools into
gaeke/llvm/Release/bin ?

Reid.

Re: Demo Script Paths

Chris Lattner
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Reid Spencer wrote:
> At the very least, can we get some modern tools into
> gaeke/llvm/Release/bin ?

Done.  Note that the demo page is giving an llvm2cpp error when used now:

llvm2cpp: error opening l2cppFile! llvm2cpp exited with an error. Please
correct source and resubmit.

I assume that this is a bug in index.cgi.

If you want to play with the demo page, go ahead, but please test your
changes. I think we're far enough from the release for it to be ok.

Re: Demo Script Paths

Tanya Lattner-2

> I'm trying to get the demo script to run llvm2cpp so that people can get
> familiar with the LLVM C++ API through the online demo.  However, it
> seems that the path used doesn't include llvm2cpp (not updated in a
> while?).  The demo script currently uses these paths on Zion:

I can look into this, but I would strongly suggest not messing with the
demo script until 2-3 weeks after this latest release.

-Tanya

> /home/vadve/criswell/box/x86/llvm-gcc/bin/
> /home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/Release/bin
> /home/vadve/gaeke/bin
> /home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/projects/Stacker/Release/bin
>
> I'm not sure what the state of John's llvm-gcc is, but using a moving
> target is not a good idea. Also, its likely that Brian's directories
> haven't been updated in erm .. a year?
>
> It would be nice if we had a "tools-only" build of LLVM available on the
> server that is updated, say, once per week?  I'd set it up myself, but I
> don't have access.
>
> At the very least, can we get some modern tools into
> gaeke/llvm/Release/bin ?
>
> Reid.

Re: Demo Script Paths

Reid Spencer-2
It's already messed with, but there's no harm. If someone turns on the
llvm2cpp option, then they get an error message at the bottom of the
output page. All other output is normal. So, there's no harm in it.
If/when llvm2cpp becomes available on Zion, people then the llvm2cpp
output will appear.  Note that llvm2cpp is a 1.8 release feature. My
change was to help people learning LLVM understand how to construct the
IR in C++. The demo facility is a good tool for that and allows me to
direct people there so they can see how it works.

Reid.

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 09:31 -0700, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:

> > I'm trying to get the demo script to run llvm2cpp so that people can get
> > familiar with the LLVM C++ API through the online demo.  However, it
> > seems that the path used doesn't include llvm2cpp (not updated in a
> > while?).  The demo script currently uses these paths on Zion:
>
> I can look into this, but I would strongly suggest not messing with the
> demo script until 2-3 weeks after this latest release.
>
> -Tanya
>

> > /home/vadve/criswell/box/x86/llvm-gcc/bin/
> > /home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/Release/bin
> > /home/vadve/gaeke/bin
> > /home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/projects/Stacker/Release/bin
> >
> > I'm not sure what the state of John's llvm-gcc is, but using a moving
> > target is not a good idea. Also, its likely that Brian's directories
> > haven't been updated in erm .. a year?
> >
> > It would be nice if we had a "tools-only" build of LLVM available on the
> > server that is updated, say, once per week?  I'd set it up myself, but I
> > don't have access.
> >
> > At the very least, can we get some modern tools into
> > gaeke/llvm/Release/bin ?
> >
> > Reid.

Re: Demo Script Paths

Tanya Lattner-2

> It's already messed with, but there's no harm. If someone turns on the
> llvm2cpp option, then they get an error message at the bottom of the
> output page. All other output is normal. So, there's no harm in it.
> If/when llvm2cpp becomes available on Zion, people then the llvm2cpp
> output will appear.  Note that llvm2cpp is a 1.8 release feature. My
> change was to help people learning LLVM understand how to construct the
> IR in C++. The demo facility is a good tool for that and allows me to
> direct people there so they can see how it works.

llvm2cpp may be a 1.8 release feature, but this is something that should
have been added to the demo script before the release. I don't like the
idea of jepordizing the stability of the script during this critical
time. Critical meaning.. people will be trying out llvm and if the demo
script fails for them.. they may likely give up and not bother with LLVM.

I don't disagree with the change. I just think the timing could be better.

-Tanya

> Reid.
>
> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 09:31 -0700, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get the demo script to run llvm2cpp so that people can get
>>> familiar with the LLVM C++ API through the online demo.  However, it
>>> seems that the path used doesn't include llvm2cpp (not updated in a
>>> while?).  The demo script currently uses these paths on Zion:
>>
>> I can look into this, but I would strongly suggest not messing with the
>> demo script until 2-3 weeks after this latest release.
>>
>> -Tanya
>>

>>> /home/vadve/criswell/box/x86/llvm-gcc/bin/
>>> /home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/Release/bin
>>> /home/vadve/gaeke/bin
>>> /home/vadve/gaeke/llvm/projects/Stacker/Release/bin
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what the state of John's llvm-gcc is, but using a moving
>>> target is not a good idea. Also, its likely that Brian's directories
>>> haven't been updated in erm .. a year?
>>>
>>> It would be nice if we had a "tools-only" build of LLVM available on the
>>> server that is updated, say, once per week?  I'd set it up myself, but I
>>> don't have access.
>>>
>>> At the very least, can we get some modern tools into
>>> gaeke/llvm/Release/bin ?
>>>
>>> Reid.

Re: Demo Script Paths

Reid Spencer-2
The demo script isn't part of the release and its not failing.

Do you want me to revert the changes?

Reid.

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 10:08 -0700, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:

> > It's already messed with, but there's no harm. If someone turns on the
> > llvm2cpp option, then they get an error message at the bottom of the
> > output page. All other output is normal. So, there's no harm in it.
> > If/when llvm2cpp becomes available on Zion, people then the llvm2cpp
> > output will appear.  Note that llvm2cpp is a 1.8 release feature. My
> > change was to help people learning LLVM understand how to construct the
> > IR in C++. The demo facility is a good tool for that and allows me to
> > direct people there so they can see how it works.
>
> llvm2cpp may be a 1.8 release feature, but this is something that should
> have been added to the demo script before the release. I don't like the
> idea of jepordizing the stability of the script during this critical
> time. Critical meaning.. people will be trying out llvm and if the demo
> script fails for them.. they may likely give up and not bother with LLVM.
>
> I don't disagree with the change. I just think the timing could be better.
>
> -Tanya
> >
> > Reid.

> >> I can look into this, but I would strongly suggest not messing with the
> >> demo script until 2-3 weeks after this latest release.
> >>
> >> -Tanya

Re: Demo Script Paths

Tanya Lattner-2

> The demo script isn't part of the release and its not failing.
>
> Do you want me to revert the changes?

No. I just said that we should avoid anymore changes for the next 2
weeks to maintain stability.

-Tanya

> Reid.
>
> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 10:08 -0700, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
>>> It's already messed with, but there's no harm. If someone turns on the
>>> llvm2cpp option, then they get an error message at the bottom of the
>>> output page. All other output is normal. So, there's no harm in it.
>>> If/when llvm2cpp becomes available on Zion, people then the llvm2cpp
>>> output will appear.  Note that llvm2cpp is a 1.8 release feature. My
>>> change was to help people learning LLVM understand how to construct the
>>> IR in C++. The demo facility is a good tool for that and allows me to
>>> direct people there so they can see how it works.
>>
>> llvm2cpp may be a 1.8 release feature, but this is something that should
>> have been added to the demo script before the release. I don't like the
>> idea of jepordizing the stability of the script during this critical
>> time. Critical meaning.. people will be trying out llvm and if the demo
>> script fails for them.. they may likely give up and not bother with LLVM.
>>
>> I don't disagree with the change. I just think the timing could be better.
>>
>> -Tanya
>>>
>>> Reid.

Re: Demo Script Paths

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
>>  The demo script isn't part of the release and its not failing.
>>  Do you want me to revert the changes?
> No. I just said that we should avoid anymore changes for the next 2 weeks to
> maintain stability.

FWIW, I agree with Tanya on this.  People *pound* on the demo page
immediately after a release as they try it out and see what LLVM can do to
their code.  Risking instability in the demo page just isn't worth it
right after the release.  I agree that having an llvm2cpp option on it is
great, but it shouldn't be a problem to wait a week or two.  Is that
reasonable Reid?

-Chris

>> >  llvm2cpp may be a 1.8 release feature, but this is something that should
>> >  have been added to the demo script before the release. I don't like the
>> >  idea of jepordizing the stability of the script during this critical
>> >  time. Critical meaning.. people will be trying out llvm and if the demo
>> >  script fails for them.. they may likely give up and not bother with
>> >  LLVM.
>> >
>> >  I don't disagree with the change. I just think the timing could be
>> >  better.
>> >
>> >  -Tanya

Re: Demo Script Paths

Reid Spencer-2
Okay, let me reiterate. The llvm2cpp option is *already* on the demo
script page. If you choose that option, you just get an error message
because llvm2cpp can't be found. Its harmless and everything else still
works.

I won't change the script for a couple of weeks, per Tanya's and your
request.

Reid.

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 10:48 -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Tanya M. Lattner wrote:
> >>  The demo script isn't part of the release and its not failing.
> >>  Do you want me to revert the changes?
> > No. I just said that we should avoid anymore changes for the next 2 weeks to
> > maintain stability.
>
> FWIW, I agree with Tanya on this.  People *pound* on the demo page
> immediately after a release as they try it out and see what LLVM can do to
> their code.  Risking instability in the demo page just isn't worth it
> right after the release.  I agree that having an llvm2cpp option on it is
> great, but it shouldn't be a problem to wait a week or two.  Is that
> reasonable Reid?
>
> -Chris

> -Chris

Re: Demo Script Paths

Chris Lattner
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Reid Spencer wrote:
> Okay, let me reiterate. The llvm2cpp option is *already* on the demo
> script page. If you choose that option, you just get an error message
> because llvm2cpp can't be found. Its harmless and everything else still
> works.
>
> I won't change the script for a couple of weeks, per Tanya's and your
> request.

Ok, sounds good, thanks Reid!

-Chris

> Reid.

>>> No. I just said that we should avoid anymore changes for the next 2 weeks to
>>> maintain stability.
>>
>> FWIW, I agree with Tanya on this.  People *pound* on the demo page
>> immediately after a release as they try it out and see what LLVM can do to
>> their code.  Risking instability in the demo page just isn't worth it
>> right after the release.  I agree that having an llvm2cpp option on it is
>> great, but it shouldn't be a problem to wait a week or two.  Is that
>> reasonable Reid?
>>
>> -Chris

>> -Chris

Re: Demo Script Paths