Cygwin support completely dropped?

nkavv
Hi there

it seems that it has been sometime that anyone had success with building llvm
(2.0 or 2.1 prerelease) on Cygwin/XP. i have been using gcc-4.0.2 with no
success.

is anyone working on Cygwin or not? i feel that having Cygwin as a supported
platform is at least misleading since noone is building on Cygwin.

I recall llvm-1.4 to 1.6 building decently on Cygwin even with gcc-3.3.3.

Kind regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias

Re: Cygwin support completely dropped?

Tanya Lattner-2

> it seems that it has been sometime that anyone had success with building llvm
> (2.0 or 2.1 prerelease) on Cygwin/XP. i have been using gcc-4.0.2 with no
> success.
>
> is anyone working on Cygwin or not? i feel that having Cygwin as a supported
> platform is at least misleading since noone is building on Cygwin.
>
> I recall llvm-1.4 to 1.6 building decently on Cygwin even with gcc-3.3.3.

I believe Aaron Gray has had success building llvm on Cygwin:
http://www.aarongray.org/LLVM/BuildingLLVMonCygwin.html

However, those instructions may be a bit out of date...

If you are still encountering problems, please file bugs or submit
patches. The majority of LLVM developers do not use Cygwin, so its quite
possible there are problems.

-Tanya

Re: Cygwin support completely dropped?

AaronNGray
>> it seems that it has been sometime that anyone had success with building
>> llvm
>> (2.0 or 2.1 prerelease) on Cygwin/XP. i have been using gcc-4.0.2 with no
>> success.
>>
>> is anyone working on Cygwin or not? i feel that having Cygwin as a
>> supported
>> platform is at least misleading since noone is building on Cygwin.
>>
>> I recall llvm-1.4 to 1.6 building decently on Cygwin even with gcc-3.3.3.
>
> I believe Aaron Gray has had success building llvm on Cygwin:
> http://www.aarongray.org/LLVM/BuildingLLVMonCygwin.html
>
> However, those instructions may be a bit out of date...
>
> If you are still encountering problems, please file bugs or submit
> patches. The majority of LLVM developers do not use Cygwin, so its quite
> possible there are problems.

I have been unable to build either llvm-gcc-4 or llvm-gcc-4.2 on the LLVM
2.1 prerelease 1. Sorry I dont have the time or inclination to solve either
of these at the moment.

There are previous posts by me on this list regarding the errors.

I do intend to solve llvm-gcc-4.2 on Cygwin at some point in the future for
GCC++ LLVM support however I cannot do this for the LLVM 2.1 release :(

Aaron

Re: Cygwin support completely dropped?

nkavv

> > I believe Aaron Gray has had success building llvm on Cygwin:
> > http://www.aarongray.org/LLVM/BuildingLLVMonCygwin.html
> >
> > However, those instructions may be a bit out of date...

Tanya:
OK. And how about the clang frontend. Is it usable without having dependencies
with the rest of the infrastructure?

Which are your typical Linux platforms for LLVM and llvm-gcc frontend and clang?

Is it possible to use Bruno's MIPS backend on LLVM 2.0?

> I have been unable to build either llvm-gcc-4 or llvm-gcc-4.2 on the LLVM
> 2.1 prerelease 1. Sorry I dont have the time or inclination to solve either
> of these at the moment.
>
> There are previous posts by me on this list regarding the errors.
>
> I do intend to solve llvm-gcc-4.2 on Cygwin at some point in the future for
> GCC++ LLVM support however I cannot do this for the LLVM 2.1 release :(
>
> Aaron

Aaron:
Thank you for the information. I'll start from there.
Where you able to build the llvm-2.0 release on Cygwin?

Kind regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias

Re: Cygwin support completely dropped?

AaronNGray
>> > I believe Aaron Gray has had success building llvm on Cygwin:
>> > http://www.aarongray.org/LLVM/BuildingLLVMonCygwin.html
>> >
>> > However, those instructions may be a bit out of date...
>> >

> Tanya:
> OK. And how about the clang frontend. Is it usable without having
> dependencies
> with the rest of the infrastructure?
>
> Which are your typical Linux platforms for LLVM and llvm-gcc frontend and
> clang?
>
> Is it possible to use Bruno's MIPS backend on LLVM 2.0?
>

>> I have been unable to build either llvm-gcc-4 or llvm-gcc-4.2 on the LLVM
>> 2.1 prerelease 1. Sorry I dont have the time or inclination to solve
>> either
>> of these at the moment.
>>
>> There are previous posts by me on this list regarding the errors.
>>
>> I do intend to solve llvm-gcc-4.2 on Cygwin at some point in the future
>> for
>> GCC++ LLVM support however I cannot do this for the LLVM 2.1 release :(
>>
>> Aaron
>
> Aaron:
> Thank you for the information. I'll start from there.
> Where you able to build the llvm-2.0 release on Cygwin?

Yes llvm-2.0 was fine on Cygwin, you will need use the llvm-gcc-4 llvm-2.0
release with it too.

Aaron

On Sep 25, 2007, at 6:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> I believe Aaron Gray has had success building llvm on Cygwin:
>>> http://www.aarongray.org/LLVM/BuildingLLVMonCygwin.html
>>>
>>> However, those instructions may be a bit out of date...
>>>

> Tanya:
> OK. And how about the clang frontend. Is it usable without having
> dependencies
> with the rest of the infrastructure?

clang is dependent on llvm. I would address any specific clang
questions to the clang mailing list (cfe-dev). Info is here:
http://clang.llvm.org/

> Which are your typical Linux platforms for LLVM and llvm-gcc
> frontend and clang?

I do all our release testing on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. We also
have Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu systems that run nightly testers. I'm
sure there are other developers out there with some other flavor of
Linux.

> Is it possible to use Bruno's MIPS backend on LLVM 2.0?

I would imagine that you would not be able too, but perhaps someone
more familiar with all the backend changes could comment.

Btw.. Anton checked in a couple of patches today for mingW. You could
try checking out svn and seeing if they help you get further on Cygwin.

Thanks,
Tanya

>> I have been unable to build either llvm-gcc-4 or llvm-gcc-4.2 on
>> the LLVM
>> 2.1 prerelease 1. Sorry I dont have the time or inclination to
>> solve either
>> of these at the moment.
>>
>> There are previous posts by me on this list regarding the errors.
>>
>> I do intend to solve llvm-gcc-4.2 on Cygwin at some point in the
>> future for
>> GCC++ LLVM support however I cannot do this for the LLVM 2.1
>> release :(
>>
>> Aaron
>
> Aaron:
> Thank you for the information. I'll start from there.
> Where you able to build the llvm-2.0 release on Cygwin?
>

> Kind regards
> Nikolaos Kavvadias

Re: Cygwin support completely dropped?

On Sep 25, 2007, at 6:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> I believe Aaron Gray has had success building llvm on Cygwin:
>>> http://www.aarongray.org/LLVM/BuildingLLVMonCygwin.html
>>>
>>> However, those instructions may be a bit out of date...
>>>

> Tanya:
> OK. And how about the clang frontend. Is it usable without having
> dependencies
> with the rest of the infrastructure?

As Tanya said, it's usable if you have llvm, but doesn't require llvm-
gcc.  clang isn't going to be an official part of the 2.1 release
because it's not generally useful for people yet (but is a great tool
to build on top of).

> Is it possible to use Bruno's MIPS backend on LLVM 2.0?

It uses different APIs and would require significant work to
backport.  Anything is possible though :)

Re: Cygwin support completely dropped?

AaronNGray
> Btw.. Anton checked in a couple of patches today for mingW. You could
> try checking out svn and seeing if they help you get further on Cygwin.

Patches r42322 and r42332 allow llvm-gcc-4.0 to build on MinGW32 and Cygwin
although there will be another patch for exception handling.

Aaron