Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

SevenThunders
It seems awfully tricky to get llvm working on a windows machine.
I just want to use the tools,  since I want to write my own front end.

Here's where I get stuck
llvm[2]: Linking Debug executable burg
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.1/../../../libstdc++.a: could not read
symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to add one
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/llvm/Debug/bin/burg.exe] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/llvm/utils/Burg'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/llvm/utils'
make: *** [all] Error 1

I tried running ranlib on libstdc++.a to no avail.  Perhaps I'm using
the wrong tools in my Cygwin setup?
I've got gcc 3.4.1.  Any help would be appreciated.  Should I try the
Mingw compiler?

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

AaronNGray
> It seems awfully tricky to get llvm working on a windows machine.
> I just want to use the tools,  since I want to write my own front end.
>
> I tried running ranlib on libstdc++.a to no avail.  Perhaps I'm using the
> wrong tools in my Cygwin setup?
> I've got gcc 3.4.1.  Any help would be appreciated.  Should I try the
> Mingw compiler?

Okay, the new release has (nearly) fixed things now.

Try the new 1.5 releases of llvm and cfrontend if you have not allready.

Do follow these instructions :-

        http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html

I _would_ suggest updating your GCC to 3.4.3 as the document recommends.
You must use binutils version 2.15

There still seems to be a problem later on with step 9 and 'make check'
failing though.

If you need any more help, do ask.

Aaron


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

Henrik Bach-4
In reply to this post by SevenThunders
Hi Matthew,

which version of ld/binutils are you using?

Henrik

>
>It seems awfully tricky to get llvm working on a windows machine.
>I just want to use the tools,  since I want to write my own front end.
>
>Here's where I get stuck
>llvm[2]: Linking Debug executable burg
>/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.1/../../../libstdc++.a: could not read
>symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to add one
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[2]: *** [/usr/src/llvm/Debug/bin/burg.exe] Error 1
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/llvm/utils/Burg'
>make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/llvm/utils'
>make: *** [all] Error 1
>
>I tried running ranlib on libstdc++.a to no avail.  Perhaps I'm using the
>wrong tools in my Cygwin setup?
>I've got gcc 3.4.1.  Any help would be appreciated.  Should I try the Mingw
>compiler?
>
>_______________________________________________
>LLVM Developers mailing list
>[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
>http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_________________________________________________________________
Del din verden med MSN Spaces  http://spaces.msn.com

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

SevenThunders
In reply to this post by SevenThunders
OK I've got
GNU ld version 2.15.94 20041229
as and ar are the same version number etc.  I think the latest release
is 2.16.
I guess you guys like to stay on the bleeding edge!

I'll give it a try with the cfrontend included as suggested,  but I'm
actually writing a pattern
matching compiler for a non-C scripting language and I'm looking for an
optimizing back-end such as llvm. I didn't think I needed the C front end.

In fact llvm seems to be the only active tool of it's kind in the free
software world.  MLRISC seems to be somewhat ML specific and C--  isn't
as far along.

-Matthew

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

Jeff Cohen
If you use Microsoft's VC++ compiler to build LLVM, you don't need to
build the C front end (indeed, you can't even if you wanted to).

Matthew Bromberg wrote:

> OK I've got
> GNU ld version 2.15.94 20041229
> as and ar are the same version number etc.  I think the latest release
> is 2.16.
> I guess you guys like to stay on the bleeding edge!
>
> I'll give it a try with the cfrontend included as suggested,  but I'm
> actually writing a pattern
> matching compiler for a non-C scripting language and I'm looking for
> an optimizing back-end such as llvm. I didn't think I needed the C
> front end.
>
> In fact llvm seems to be the only active tool of it's kind in the free
> software world.  MLRISC seems to be somewhat ML specific and C--  
> isn't as far along.
>
> -Matthew
>
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
>
>

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

Reid Spencer
In reply to this post by SevenThunders
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 12:01 -0400, Matthew Bromberg wrote:
> OK I've got
> GNU ld version 2.15.94 20041229
> as and ar are the same version number etc.  I think the latest release
> is 2.16.
> I guess you guys like to stay on the bleeding edge!

If I recall correctly, the 2.15.94 version that comes with Cygwin is the
buggy one that doesn't assemble correctly. That's we we *reverted* back
to 2.15. I doubt anyone's tried 2.16 on cygwin with LLVM.

>
> I'll give it a try with the cfrontend included as suggested,  but I'm
> actually writing a pattern
> matching compiler for a non-C scripting language and I'm looking for an
> optimizing back-end such as llvm. I didn't think I needed the C front end.

No, you don't. Don't specify the --with-llvmgccdir option when you
configure and when you build LLVM use "make tools-only". Everything will
be fine :)

>
> In fact llvm seems to be the only active tool of it's kind in the free
> software world.  MLRISC seems to be somewhat ML specific and C--  isn't
> as far along.

Well, if that's true, I guess LLVM is the best one too :)

Reid.

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cygwin Compile Fails for me too.

Jeff Cohen
In reply to this post by Jeff Cohen
Strike that -- you don't need to build the C front end period, if you
have no need for it.  But you won't be able to run many tests.

Jeff Cohen wrote:

> If you use Microsoft's VC++ compiler to build LLVM, you don't need to
> build the C front end (indeed, you can't even if you wanted to).
>
> Matthew Bromberg wrote:
>
>> OK I've got
>> GNU ld version 2.15.94 20041229
>> as and ar are the same version number etc.  I think the latest
>> release is 2.16.
>> I guess you guys like to stay on the bleeding edge!
>>
>> I'll give it a try with the cfrontend included as suggested,  but I'm
>> actually writing a pattern
>> matching compiler for a non-C scripting language and I'm looking for
>> an optimizing back-end such as llvm. I didn't think I needed the C
>> front end.
>>
>> In fact llvm seems to be the only active tool of it's kind in the
>> free software world.  MLRISC seems to be somewhat ML specific and
>> C--  isn't as far along.
>>
>> -Matthew
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> LLVM Developers mailing list
>> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
>> http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
>
>

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Loading...