Compiler name: Nāga

Michael McCracken
Hi, the idea of a dragon theme reminded me of the dragon-like serpents
called "Nāga" from Cambodian mythology, among other places.

Here's a brief link explaining the specific Cambodian meaning -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_(mythology)#N.C4.81gas_in_Cambodia

I like this as a name, because it's unique  short and easy to type and
remember (as long as you omit the accent, which is commonly done),
it's basically a southeast-asian dragon, so we're sticking with
traditional compiler iconography, and it's seven-headed, so it nicely
represents the many different uses LLVM can be put to.

It's also pretty easy to imagine a logo, because Cambodian Nāga
sculptures are pretty memorable as is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NagaPhnomPenh.jpg
They're all over Angkor, too. I picture a simplified line-drawing of a
seven-headed serpent like the one in the image.

For what it's worth, there are also a couple other good-sounding Asian
dragon names on the wikipedia page for Nāga: "Lóng" (Chinese), "Ryū"
(Japanese), and my second-favorite after Nāga, "kyo" ("Korean mountain
dragon"), which has nice consonance with "compiler".

-mike

--
Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate

Re: Compiler name: Nāga

Vikram S. Adve
FWIW, Naga means serpent in Sanskrit and is used as a short form for
Nagaraja, a king of snakes in Hindu mythology:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagaraja
The seven-headed dragon theme seems more relevant for our purposes,
though!

I should clarify that I haven't yet formed an opinion on specific
name suggestions (partly because I haven't yet read most of them!).

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/

On Apr 12, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Michael McCracken wrote:

> Hi, the idea of a dragon theme reminded me of the dragon-like serpents
> called "Nāga" from Cambodian mythology, among other places.
>
> Here's a brief link explaining the specific Cambodian meaning -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_(mythology)#N.C4.81gas_in_Cambodia
>
> I like this as a name, because it's unique  short and easy to type and
> remember (as long as you omit the accent, which is commonly done),
> it's basically a southeast-asian dragon, so we're sticking with
> traditional compiler iconography, and it's seven-headed, so it nicely
> represents the many different uses LLVM can be put to.
>
> It's also pretty easy to imagine a logo, because Cambodian Nāga
> sculptures are pretty memorable as is:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NagaPhnomPenh.jpg
> They're all over Angkor, too. I picture a simplified line-drawing of a
> seven-headed serpent like the one in the image.
>
> For what it's worth, there are also a couple other good-sounding Asian
> dragon names on the wikipedia page for Nāga: "Lóng" (Chinese),
> "Ryū"
> (Japanese), and my second-favorite after Nāga, "kyo" ("Korean
> mountain
> dragon"), which has nice consonance with "compiler".
>
> -mike
>
> --
> Michael McCracken
> UCSD CSE PhD Candidate
> research: http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/~mmccrack/
> misc: http://michael-mccracken.net/wp/

Re: Compiler name: Nāga

Dale Johannesen

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Michael McCracken wrote:

> Hi, the idea of a dragon theme reminded me of the dragon-like serpents
> called "Nāga" from Cambodian mythology, among other places.

naga.org already exists, though.  We probably want to have the .org
available.
I like the dragon theme but most of the familiar dragon names are taken.

The Hydra of Greek mythology was a dragon-like creature with multiple
heads,
and hydra.org seems not to exist.

Re: Compiler name: Nāga

Ramana Radhakrishnan-2

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 11:34 -0700, Dale Johannesen wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Michael McCracken wrote:
>
> > Hi, the idea of a dragon theme reminded me of the dragon-like serpents
> > called "Nāga" from Cambodian mythology, among other places.
>
> naga.org already exists, though.  We probably want to have the .org
> available.
> I like the dragon theme but most of the familiar dragon names are taken.
>
> The Hydra of Greek mythology was a dragon-like creature with multiple
> heads,
> and hydra.org seems not to exist.

Or an alternate Sanskrit word for serpents "Sesha" ..

Ramana Radhakrishnan <[hidden email]>
codito ergo sum

Re: Compiler name: Nāga

Patrick Meredith

On Apr 12, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Michael McCracken wrote:

> Hi, the idea of a dragon theme reminded me of the dragon-like serpents
> called "Nāga" from Cambodian mythology, among other places.

Interesting, my only comment is if we pick this we need to just spell
it Naga.
Naga are also snake people in D&D (yea... I know).

> Here's a brief link explaining the specific Cambodian meaning -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_(mythology)#N.C4.81gas_in_Cambodia
>
> I like this as a name, because it's unique  short and easy to type and
> remember (as long as you omit the accent, which is commonly done),
> it's basically a southeast-asian dragon, so we're sticking with
> traditional compiler iconography, and it's seven-headed, so it nicely
> represents the many different uses LLVM can be put to.
>
> It's also pretty easy to imagine a logo, because Cambodian Nāga
> sculptures are pretty memorable as is:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NagaPhnomPenh.jpg
> They're all over Angkor, too. I picture a simplified line-drawing of a
> seven-headed serpent like the one in the image.
>
> For what it's worth, there are also a couple other good-sounding Asian
> dragon names on the wikipedia page for Nāga: "Lóng" (Chinese),
> "Ryū"
> (Japanese), and my second-favorite after Nāga, "kyo" ("Korean
> mountain
> dragon"), which has nice consonance with "compiler".
>
> -mike
>
> --
> Michael McCracken
> UCSD CSE PhD Candidate
> research: http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/~mmccrack/
> misc: http://michael-mccracken.net/wp/

Re: Compiler name: Nāga

Anton Vayvod
This idea sounds interesting. I found some other many-headed dragons in Wiki: Dahaka, Lotan (or Lawtan) and Orochi. From these for only Orochi.com/org and lotan.org are already taken. Personally I like the Dahaka one.

If developing the idea of multiheaded beasts one could think about Russian two-headed eagle at last. :))) or Shiva, probably.

As for ideas, I thought about taking some simple word like "open", "enlightment", "freedom" or so and translate it to some mystique language :) but it seems that the only one such a good word was already used by ubuntu... Probably, someone knows some comfortable world.

Re: Compiler name: Nāga

Bill Wendling
On 4/12/07, Dale Johannesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Michael McCracken wrote:
>
> > Hi, the idea of a dragon theme reminded me of the dragon-like serpents
> > called "Nāga" from Cambodian mythology, among other places.
>
> naga.org already exists, though.  We probably want to have the .org
> available.
> I like the dragon theme but most of the familiar dragon names are taken.
>
> The Hydra of Greek mythology was a dragon-like creature with multiple
> heads,
> and hydra.org seems not to exist.

It's also a moon around Pluto (along with Nix and Charon (which starts
with "CH" like Chris's name)). All of them, though, have to do with
Hades. Not sure if it's a good association ;-)

-bw

Re: Compiler name: Nāga

Bill Wendling
On 4/12/07, Patrick Meredith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Michael McCracken wrote:
>
> > Hi, the idea of a dragon theme reminded me of the dragon-like serpents
> > called "Nāga" from Cambodian mythology, among other places.
>
> Interesting, my only comment is if we pick this we need to just spell
> it Naga.
> Naga are also snake people in D&D (yea... I know).

And a monster you get to kill in Nethack ;-)

-bw