Call for Packages

Anton Korobeynikov
Hello, Everyone.

As you may have already noticed, 2.1 release is "really soon". Recently
we found, that LLVM is somehow hard to use for end-users due to lack of
"packages" for different distributions.

It might not be convenient to compile LLVM from source, because of
broken gcc's supplied in binary packages for many distributions (for
example, many Ubuntu's still have gcc 4.1.2 and so on). So, in general,
user should at first compile gcc, then - LLVM and llvm-gcc. This seems
to be pretty much overkill.

We're trying to provide as much possible binary packages as we can, but
this is not enough. It will be pretty good, if there will be packages
for.

If you can build binary/source for your distribution, you'll help LLVM
alot.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.

Re: Call for Packages

Duncan Sands
Hi Anton,

> It might not be convenient to compile LLVM from source, because of
> broken gcc's supplied in binary packages for many distributions (for
> example, many Ubuntu's still have gcc 4.1.2 and so on).

I never had any problems compiling LLVM/llvm-gcc using ubuntu's
gcc 4.1.

Ciao,

Duncan.

Re: Call for Packages

Emil Mikulic
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 09:13:30PM +0400, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> Hello, Everyone.
>
> As you may have already noticed, 2.1 release is "really soon". Recently
> we found, that LLVM is somehow hard to use for end-users due to lack of
> "packages" for different distributions.

I'd like to announce that the FreeBSD ports devel/llvm and
lang/llvm-gcc4 have now been updated to 2.1

Big thanks to Brooks Davis and Max Khon for committing the updates!

--Emil

Re: Call for Packages

Tomas Lindquist Olsen
I'm just going to say that Arch linux users can get LLVM 2.1 from the
AUR repository, which is basically an official place for packages that
have not yet made it into the main repository. So one less distro to
worry about. If enough Arch linux users want it they can vote for its
inclusion into the main repository.

Oh and btw, I'm maintaining the package ;)

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?do_Details=1&ID=11372

On 10/16/07, Emil Mikulic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 09:13:30PM +0400, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> > Hello, Everyone.
> >
> > As you may have already noticed, 2.1 release is "really soon". Recently
> > we found, that LLVM is somehow hard to use for end-users due to lack of
> > "packages" for different distributions.
>
> I'd like to announce that the FreeBSD ports devel/llvm and
> lang/llvm-gcc4 have now been updated to 2.1
>
> Big thanks to Brooks Davis and Max Khon for committing the updates!
>
> --Emil

Re: Call for Packages

Anton Korobeynikov
Hello Tomas,

> Oh and btw, I'm maintaining the package ;)
Added, thanks!

> > I'd like to announce that the FreeBSD ports devel/llvm and
> > lang/llvm-gcc4 have now been updated to 2.1
And this too :)

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.

Re: Call for Packages

Scott Michel
Emil Mikulic wrote:
> Big thanks to Brooks Davis and Max Khon for committing the updates!

I realize this is a really late reply, but Brooks works for me at The
Aerospace Corporation, where we're pretty big advocates of LLVM.

-scooter