C backend and debug info

Sanjiv Gupta
If I translate my original C code using LLVM to optimized C code (to harness LLVM's IPO) and then use a different compiler to compile translated C code, can I still generate debug info that would allow debugging the original program?

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Re: C backend and debug info

Chris Lattner

On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Sanjiv Gupta wrote:

> If I translate my original C code using LLVM to optimized C code (to
> harness LLVM's IPO) and then use a different compiler to compile
> translated C code, can I still generate debug info that would allow
> debugging the original program?

Nope, sorry.  The CBE is a useful tool, but doesn't support a lot of
corner cases.  I'd take a look at the llvm bugzilla (search for CBE)
for some examples.

Re: C backend and debug info

Evan Cheng-2

On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Sanjiv Gupta wrote:

> If I translate my original C code using LLVM to optimized C code
> (to harness LLVM's IPO) and then use a different compiler to
> compile translated C code, can I still generate debug info that
> would allow debugging the original program?

Not right now. But I think that can be added. It would be a welcome
addition. Patch welcome.

Evan