Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Richard Smith-21
I am working on a port of LLVM targeting a proprietary VM. Thus far
development has been under Linux and Cygwin. Cygwin licensing would appear
to require that LLVM built under Cygwin would have to be released under the
GPL, so alternatives are being investigated.

Using MS Visual Studio and following the instructions at
http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedVS.html (Getting Started with the LLVM
System using Microsoft Visual Studio Overview) has not been successful.

>From the instructions:

With anonymous Subversion access:
cd where-you-want-llvm-to-live
svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm-top/trunk llvm-top
make checkout MODULE=llvm
cd llvm
Simply double click on the solution file llvm/win32/llvm.sln.

Questions:

1. "make" and "svn" are not Windows commands. In what environment are these
commands supposed to be used?
2. What is this "make checkout MODULE=llvm" about? After checking out the
sources the directory will be empty apart from the llvm-top subdirectory, so
where is the Makefile for this?
3. If you obtain the sources under Cygwin and build in Visual Studio,
absolutely nothing works: many files are missing. This is hardly surprising
because there has been no configure step.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Richard Smith.

Re: Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

S3-2

Re: Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Erik de Castro Lopo-29
Richard Smith wrote:

> I am working on a port of LLVM targeting a proprietary VM. Thus far
> development has been under Linux and Cygwin. Cygwin licensing would appear
> to require that LLVM built under Cygwin would have to be released under the
> GPL, so alternatives are being investigated.
>
> Using MS Visual Studio and following the instructions at
> http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedVS.html (Getting Started with the LLVM
> System using Microsoft Visual Studio Overview) has not been successful.

Have you tried MinGW? Coming from a *nix background, I find MinGW far
easier to use than the microsoft tools.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo

S3 wrote:

> I am not a lawyer, but:

Nor am I.

> I think that you are misinterpreting the GPL.
> Just because Cygwin contains some GPL software
> does not automatically make all software it
> compiles GPL.

Don't guess, read the FAQ:

    http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.what.free
    http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.static-linking

Erik

Re: Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Richard Smith-21
Unfortunately, I believe the issue is not that Cygwin contains GPL code, it
is that applications which it compiles do. This is explicitly stated at
http://cygwin.com/licensing.html:

"The Cygwin API library found in the winsup subdirectory of the source code
is also covered by the GNU GPL (with exceptions; see below). By default, all
executables link against this library (and in the process include GPL'd
Cygwin glue code). This means that unless you modify the tools so that
compiled executables do not make use of the Cygwin library, your compiled
programs will also have to be free software distributed under the GPL with
source code available to all."

The exceptions mentioned are for applications which are themselves Open
Source. But, by their definition, I do not believe LLVM is considered Open
Source, because it allows someone to modify it and distribute the binaries
without the modified sources.

Richard

Re: Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Bill Wendling
Hi Richard,

> Unfortunately, I believe the issue is not that Cygwin contains GPL code, it
> is that applications which it compiles do. This is explicitly stated at
> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html:

If you have serious questions about the licensing of Cygwin/LLVM, you
really need to talk to a lawyer. No one on this list can give you
advice in that area which will accurately reflect what is correct for
you and your needs because none of us are lawyers.

Perhaps you should explore the possibilities of VC, etc., which are
actively maintained by members of the community. If you have specific
questions about getting up and started with these, let us know.

For your previous questions:

1) "svn" is a Subversion command (see http://subversion.tigris.org/).
Subversion is the versioning system we use here.
2) There are "make" commands out there for Windows. But if you're
having troubles with them, ask if there are other ways to get around
it...

Cheers!
-bw

Re: Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Richard Smith-21
This is another possible way forward. Like you, I am more familiar with a
Posix environment - but there are those I work with who would prefer the
Visual Studio solution if it were possible.

Richard

> I am working on a port of LLVM targeting a proprietary VM. Thus far
> development has been under Linux and Cygwin. Cygwin licensing would appear
> to require that LLVM built under Cygwin would have to be released under
the
> GPL, so alternatives are being investigated.
>
> Using MS Visual Studio and following the instructions at
> http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedVS.html (Getting Started with the LLVM
> System using Microsoft Visual Studio Overview) has not been successful.

Have you tried MinGW? Coming from a *nix background, I find MinGW far
easier to use than the microsoft tools.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo

Re: Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Richard Smith-21
Many thanks. Yes, this question has slightly sidetracked on the license
issue, which was mostly an aside as to why we wish to use something other
than Cygwin.

On the make issue, I am very interested to know what it is supposed to be
doing. Is this a standard Linux-like make, and if so where is the Makefile
which defines the "checkout" target?

Richard

On 9/20/07, Richard Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many thanks. Yes, this question has slightly sidetracked on the license
> issue, which was mostly an aside as to why we wish to use something other
> than Cygwin.

I totally understand. :-) I just wanted to bring it back on a technical track.

> On the make issue, I am very interested to know what it is supposed to be
> doing. Is this a standard Linux-like make, and if so where is the Makefile
> which defines the "checkout" target?

It's not a standard target. You probably don't need to use "svn" or
the "make" command. Just follow the directions in the "With the
distributed file" section.

-bw

Re: Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Chuck Rose III
Hola Richard,

I think I'm the primary person using / maintaining the VStudio build.
Every so often I checkout and make sure things are still building, but
do occasionally get behind if a lot of new files are getting added to
the LLVM svn tree.  What isn't working for you?  I'll try and clarify
the steps in the doc or fix the build issue.

Please note that a lot of the tools and tests aren't built by the
VStudio files.  Nor does it integrate the front end stuff.  Mostly it's
for generating LLVM structures and execution via JIT or interpreter.

Thanks,
Chuck.