Books, papers and information

Fredrik Svensson-2
Hi,

As Christmas approaches rapidly I would like to get some suggestions for
interesting compiler books, papers and other type of information that one
can read the few slow days over Christmas.

Any recommendations ? I have the dragon book, but it would be fun to read
something on what is happening in modern compilers.

/Fred

Re: Books, papers and information

Reid Spencer-2
Hi Fredrik,

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 15:13 +0100, Fredrik Svensson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Christmas approaches rapidly I would like to get some suggestions for
> interesting compiler books, papers and other type of information that one
> can read the few slow days over Christmas.
>
> Any recommendations ? I have the dragon book, but it would be fun to read
> something on what is happening in modern compilers.

The dragon book is a good general reference, but its a bit dated.

The best book on optimization that I've seen is Muchnik:
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Compiler-Design-Implementation-Muchnick/dp/1558603204/sr=8-1/qid=1166545021/ref=sr_1_1/002-2644375-9125607?ie=UTF8&s=books

For a discussion of compiling for modern architectures, Allen & Kennedy
is good:
http://www.amazon.com/Optimizing-Compilers-Modern-Architectures-Dependence-based/dp/1558602860/sr=8-4/qid=1166544883/ref=sr_1_4/002-2644375-9125607?ie=UTF8&s=books

> /Fred

Re: Books, papers and information

Jeff Cohen
Reid Spencer wrote:
Hi Fredrik,

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 15:13 +0100, Fredrik Svensson wrote:

Hi,

As Christmas approaches rapidly I would like to get some suggestions for
interesting compiler books, papers and other type of information that one
can read the few slow days over Christmas.

Any recommendations ? I have the dragon book, but it would be fun to read
something on what is happening in modern compilers.

The dragon book is a good general reference, but its a bit dated.

Not anymore.  A new edition was just published.

http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Principles-Techniques-Tools-2nd/dp/0321486811/sr=11-1/qid=1166545286/ref=sr_11_1/002-7396745-1141603

Now up to a 1000 pages.

Re: Books, papers and information

Ramana Radhakrishnan-2
Add to this list Robert Morgan's book on building an optimizing
compiler.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Optimizing-Compiler-Robert-Morgan/dp/155558179X

-Ramana
On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 08:17 -0800, Reid Spencer wrote:

> Hi Fredrik,
>
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 15:13 +0100, Fredrik Svensson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As Christmas approaches rapidly I would like to get some suggestions for
> > interesting compiler books, papers and other type of information that one
> > can read the few slow days over Christmas.
> >
> > Any recommendations ? I have the dragon book, but it would be fun to read
> > something on what is happening in modern compilers.
>
> The dragon book is a good general reference, but its a bit dated.
>
> The best book on optimization that I've seen is Muchnik:
> http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Compiler-Design-Implementation-Muchnick/dp/1558603204/sr=8-1/qid=1166545021/ref=sr_1_1/002-2644375-9125607?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> For a discussion of compiling for modern architectures, Allen & Kennedy
> is good:
> http://www.amazon.com/Optimizing-Compilers-Modern-Architectures-Dependence-based/dp/1558602860/sr=8-4/qid=1166544883/ref=sr_1_4/002-2644375-9125607?ie=UTF8&s=books
>

> > /Fred
Ramana Radhakrishnan <[hidden email]>
Codito Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

Re: Books, papers and information

Zhongxing Xu
I found the chapters in Engineering a Compiler (Cooper and Torczon)  perfectly
match the code generator of LLVM.

And this paper:
Lengauer and Tarjan, A Fast Algorithm for Finding Dominators in a Flowgraph,
ACM TOPLAS, Vol 1 , No.1, July 1979

I also would like to know more papers/books whose algorithms are implemented in LLVM.

在 星期二 19 十二月 2006 22:13,Fredrik Svensson 写道:

> Hi,
>
> As Christmas approaches rapidly I would like to get some suggestions for
> interesting compiler books, papers and other type of information that one
> can read the few slow days over Christmas.
>
> Any recommendations ? I have the dragon book, but it would be fun to read
> something on what is happening in modern compilers.
>
> /Fred

Re: Books, papers and information

Chris Lattner
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Zhongxing Xu wrote:

> I found the chapters in Engineering a Compiler (Cooper and Torczon)
> perfectly
> match the code generator of LLVM.
>
> And this paper:
> Lengauer and Tarjan, A Fast Algorithm for Finding Dominators in a Flowgraph,
> ACM TOPLAS, Vol 1 , No.1, July 1979
>
> I also would like to know more papers/books whose algorithms are implemented
> in LLVM.

Some good ones are listed in the header of this file:
http://llvm.org/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/llvm/lib/Analysis/ScalarEvolution.cpp?rev=1.74&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup