[3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

12

[3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
use a lot of improvement:

LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst

The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!

I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
(http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.

Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:

LLVM:
- the assume intrinsic
- scoped noalias metadata
- the old JIT being removed
- kaleidoscope debug info chapter
- TargetMachine/TargetSubtargetInfo API changes
- AArch64 FastISel improvements
- the new CFL alias analysis
- the new vector shuffle lowering
- Go bindings
- minnum/maxnum intrinsics
- statepoint intrinsics

Clang:
- C++14 support was marked complete
- C now defaults to C11 mode
- thread-safety analysis was updated
- MS ABI compatibility
- fpic and -fPIC are now different

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - the assume intrinsic
> - scoped noalias metadata

Hal, could you write something about these?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - the old JIT being removed

Lang, do you want to write something about this?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hal Finkel
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could
> > still
> > use a lot of improvement:
> >
> > LLVM:
> > https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> > Clang:
> > https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> >
> > The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> > release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it
> > directly
> > to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It
> > doesn't
> > even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
> >
> > I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> > (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
> >
> > Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the
> > notes:
> >
> > LLVM:
> > - the assume intrinsic
> > - scoped noalias metadata
>
> Hal, could you write something about these?

Will do.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - kaleidoscope debug info chapter
> - TargetMachine/TargetSubtargetInfo API changes

Eric, can you add something about these?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - AArch64 FastISel improvements

Chad, do you want to add something about this to the release notes?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Eric Christopher

On Wed Feb 18 2015 at 4:37:24 PM Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - kaleidoscope debug info chapter
> - TargetMachine/TargetSubtargetInfo API changes

Eric, can you add something about these?

Sure. Though technically I gave a talk on both of them so I could just link to that ;)

I'll write something up though.

-eric

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - the new CFL alias analysis

Is this hooked up by default? Should we mention it in the notes?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - the new vector shuffle lowering

Chandler, will you write something?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - Go bindings

Peter, do you want to mention this in the release notes?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - minnum/maxnum intrinsics

Matt, do you want to add this to the release notes?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> LLVM:
> - statepoint intrinsics

Philip, do you want to write something about this for the release notes?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> Clang:
> - C++14 support was marked complete
> - C now defaults to C11 mode

Richard, can you check that the release notes are up to date with this?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> Clang:
> - thread-safety analysis was updated

Delesley, is there anything we should add to the release notes for this?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> Clang:
> - MS ABI compatibility

Reid, I'm sure there's lots of stuff to mention here. I think
vectorcall support is new. Do you want to add something about this?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> use a lot of improvement:
>
> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>
> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>
> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>
> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>
> Clang:
> - fpic and -fPIC are now different

Justin, Rafael: should we mention this in the release notes?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Hans Wennborg-2
(Re-sending to hopefully the correct address. Sorry for the noise.)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
>> use a lot of improvement:
>>
>> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>>
>> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
>> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
>> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
>> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>>
>> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
>> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>>
>> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>>
>> LLVM:
>> - AArch64 FastISel improvements
>
> Chad, do you want to add something about this to the release notes?

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Peter Collingbourne-2
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 04:41:17PM -0800, Hans Wennborg wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
> > use a lot of improvement:
> >
> > LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> > Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
> >
> > The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
> > release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
> > to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
> > even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
> >
> > I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
> > (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
> >
> > Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
> >
> > LLVM:
> > - Go bindings
>
> Peter, do you want to mention this in the release notes?

r229800.

--
Peter

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Matt Arsenault-2

> On Feb 18, 2015, at 4:42 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Hans Wennborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The 3.6 release is drawing nearer, but the release notes could still
>> use a lot of improvement:
>>
>> LLVM: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>> Clang: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/release_36/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
>>
>> The good news is that they can be updated all the way up until
>> release. If you have a patch for the release notes, commit it directly
>> to the branch, or send it to me and I'll commit it for you. It doesn't
>> even have to be a patch proper, just send me some text!
>>
>> I've been going through Alex's excellent weekly news
>> (http://llvmweekly.org) to figure out what changed.
>>
>> Here's a list of things that might be worth mentioning in the notes:
>>
>> LLVM:
>> - minnum/maxnum intrinsics
>
> Matt, do you want to add this to the release notes?

Yes, these should be added.

Re: [3.6 Release] Time to fix the release notes

Eric Christopher
Probably best to harass Juergen about it since he did most of them :)

-eric