[3.5 Release] Tentative Schedule

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[3.5 Release] Tentative Schedule

Bill Wendling
Hi all,

I’m sorry for the late announcement. Here’s a tentative schedule for the 3.5 release.

July 21:       Branch for 3.5 release.

- All features should be near completion. Changes to complete existing features will be accepted until the end of testing phase I. But they should *not* be major (i.e., large) changes. If they are, they may be rejected.

July 21-27:    Testing Phase I.

- Binaries will be available for general testing.

July 28-Aug 3: Fix bugs from Testing Phase I.

- At this point, all features should be complete. Any features which aren’t need to be turned off by default.

Aug 4-10:      Testing Phase II.

- Only critical bug fixes accepted. Binaries will be available for general testing.

Aug 11-17:     Fix bugs from Testing Phase II.

- The bugs fixed here are release blockers. Ideally, we won’t need a Testing Phase III.

Aug 25:        3.5 RELEASE! :-)

Share and enjoy!
-bw


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [3.5 Release] Tentative Schedule

Tom Stellard-3
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:59:03AM -0700, Bill Wendling wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m sorry for the late announcement. Here’s a tentative schedule for the 3.5 release.
>

Hi Bill,

I would like to propose a slight change to the release process.  Instead
of naming the release tag directory RELEASE_XY, it would be better to
use RELEASE_XYZ to make it easier to support dot releases in the various
release scripts.  Here is a documentation patch for the proposed change:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20140616/221946.html

If there are no objections to this, then I will create aliases for the
3.4.2 tags using this new naming convention and then update the release
scripts. I think we will want to use 3.4.2 as the baseline when we check
3.5 for regressions, since in theory it has less bugs than 3.4.0

-Tom


> July 21:       Branch for 3.5 release.
>
> - All features should be near completion. Changes to complete existing features will be accepted until the end of testing phase I. But they should *not* be major (i.e., large) changes. If they are, they may be rejected.
>
> July 21-27:    Testing Phase I.
>
> - Binaries will be available for general testing.
>
> July 28-Aug 3: Fix bugs from Testing Phase I.
>
> - At this point, all features should be complete. Any features which aren’t need to be turned off by default.
>
> Aug 4-10:      Testing Phase II.
>
> - Only critical bug fixes accepted. Binaries will be available for general testing.
>
> Aug 11-17:     Fix bugs from Testing Phase II.
>
> - The bugs fixed here are release blockers. Ideally, we won’t need a Testing Phase III.
>
> Aug 25:        3.5 RELEASE! :-)
>
> Share and enjoy!
> -bw
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> LLVM Developers mailing list
> [hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev

_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [3.5 Release] Tentative Schedule

Renato Golin-2
On 14 July 2014 21:46, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to propose a slight change to the release process.  Instead
> of naming the release tag directory RELEASE_XY, it would be better to
> use RELEASE_XYZ to make it easier to support dot releases in the various
> release scripts.  Here is a documentation patch for the proposed change:
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20140616/221946.html

I agree this is a good change.

I'm also good with the schedule for release 3.5.0, I'll be releasing
ARM and AArch64 binaries for testing.

cheers,
--renato
_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [3.5 Release] Tentative Schedule

Bill Wendling
In reply to this post by Tom Stellard-3
Sure that sounds fine.

-bw

On Jul 14, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Tom Stellard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:59:03AM -0700, Bill Wendling wrote:
Hi all,

I’m sorry for the late announcement. Here’s a tentative schedule for the 3.5 release.


Hi Bill,

I would like to propose a slight change to the release process.  Instead
of naming the release tag directory RELEASE_XY, it would be better to
use RELEASE_XYZ to make it easier to support dot releases in the various
release scripts.  Here is a documentation patch for the proposed change:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20140616/221946.html

If there are no objections to this, then I will create aliases for the
3.4.2 tags using this new naming convention and then update the release
scripts. I think we will want to use 3.4.2 as the baseline when we check
3.5 for regressions, since in theory it has less bugs than 3.4.0

-Tom


July 21:       Branch for 3.5 release.

- All features should be near completion. Changes to complete existing features will be accepted until the end of testing phase I. But they should *not* be major (i.e., large) changes. If they are, they may be rejected.

July 21-27:    Testing Phase I.

- Binaries will be available for general testing.

July 28-Aug 3: Fix bugs from Testing Phase I.

- At this point, all features should be complete. Any features which aren’t need to be turned off by default.

Aug 4-10:      Testing Phase II.

- Only critical bug fixes accepted. Binaries will be available for general testing.

Aug 11-17:     Fix bugs from Testing Phase II.

- The bugs fixed here are release blockers. Ideally, we won’t need a Testing Phase III.

Aug 25:        3.5 RELEASE! :-)

Share and enjoy!
-bw


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev


_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [3.5 Release] Tentative Schedule

Renato Golin-2
On 15 July 2014 05:52, Bill Wendling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure that sounds fine.

Tom,

While you're at it, would be good to update the trunk script as well,
not just the release_350 branch.

I'm also adding some -arch / -extra so that we can build it in the
same way we run the tests and only build the appropriate back-ends
(ARM+AArch64 for both ARM and AArch64 binaries, in our case). Other
embedded/specific vendors might want to use that as well.

cheers,
--renato
_______________________________________________
LLVM Developers mailing list
[hidden email]         http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/llvmdev