2 experimental projects

Gabor Greif
Hi all,

I have two llvm projects in different stages of execution:

1) Parallel "make check".
Modelled after the successful clang "make test -jX" experiment, I am
now bold enough to sink my teeth into the LLVM test suite.
I have a prototype implementation, along the same lines, ready.

2) <class Use> size reduction.
After some conversation with Chris I think we are ready for a
16 -> 12 byte size reduction of the Use class. There are some
collateral improvements too. This project is in its conceptual phase.

To drive forward these projects I prefer to work on branches. So I
apply for a branches/ggreif/... hierarchy in the repository. I shall
make
it easy to use "svn switch ..." for the relevant directories for anybody
who wants to test my work.

After I feel that all is stable and nice, I will make a diff for
review and
get back to this list. After successful review and rework, I shall merge
back to main.

What do you think?

Cheers,

        Gabor

PS: These are *not* GSoC projects :-)

Re: 2 experimental projects

Tanya Lattner-2

> 1) Parallel "make check".
> Modelled after the successful clang "make test -jX" experiment, I am
> now bold enough to sink my teeth into the LLVM test suite.
> I have a prototype implementation, along the same lines, ready.

Can you please explain this in detail.

Thanks,
Tanya

Re: 2 experimental projects

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Gabor Greif wrote:
> 2) <class Use> size reduction.
> After some conversation with Chris I think we are ready for a
> 16 -> 12 byte size reduction of the Use class. There are some
> collateral improvements too. This project is in its conceptual phase.

Yay.

> To drive forward these projects I prefer to work on branches. So I
> apply for a branches/ggreif/... hierarchy in the repository. I shall
> make
> it easy to use "svn switch ..." for the relevant directories for anybody
> who wants to test my work.

Sure, go for it.

> After I feel that all is stable and nice, I will make a diff for review
> and get back to this list. After successful review and rework, I shall
> merge back to main.

Sounds good.  Just for sake of making patch review simpler, please make
the proposed patches as small and independent as possible.

> PS: These are *not* GSoC projects :-)

:)

Re: 2 experimental projects

Nick Lewycky
Gabor Greif wrote:
> 2) <class Use> size reduction.
> After some conversation with Chris I think we are ready for a
> 16 -> 12 byte size reduction of the Use class. There are some
> collateral improvements too. This project is in its conceptual phase.

Could you explain this in detail?

I want to be sure that you're considering both the case where Use is
embedded in a User and where it isn't, such as when it's malloc'd.

Nick

Re: 2 experimental projects

Holger Schurig-2
> To drive forward these projects I prefer to work on branches.
> So I apply for a branches/ggreif/... hierarchy in the
> repository. I shall make
> it easy to use "svn switch ..." for the relevant directories
> for anybody who wants to test my work.

I think that this might not generally be known, but you can
use "git" as your SCM/DSCM and have lot's of local, fast and
cheap branches ...  and yet you can commit/update to/from an svn
repository.

E.g. you can do

  $ git svn clone -s -r101 svn://svn.foo.com/svn/proj

This clones the names repository with revision 101 ("-r101") and
a standard trunk/ branches/ tags/ layout ("-s").

  $ cd proj
  $ git checkout -b test

This creates a test branch and checks it out. This is very fast.
Way faster than "svn switch" ... and you don't have to remember
the different URLs but just use a simple name.

Now edit. Then

  $ git commit -a

to check your local change in. You can have as many local
branches as you want and, once the branch is created, you can
switch very fast between them using "git checkout master", "git
checkout test". You can even stash away uncommitted stuff in a
hurry (without committing it) with "git stash", see "git
stash --help". Once you're done, send your commits back to svn:

  $ git svn dcommit

Now the subversion users will have your commits as well.

More about git-svn
------------------
http://tsunanet.blogspot.com/2007/07/learning-git-svn-in-5min.html
http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

Git on MAC OS X

2 experimental projects

Gabor Greif
> Could you explain this in detail?
>
> I want to be sure that you're considering both the case where Use is
> embedded in a User and where it isn't, such as when it's malloc'd.
>
> Nick

Yep. This is one of the design constraints.

A design sketch should be up for review in a few days.

Cheers,

        Gabor