1 Week before 1.9 Branch Creation

Tanya Lattner-2

LLVMers,

It is now 1 week before I will create the 1.9 release branch.

I'm asking that all platform maintainers and available llvm developers
review the nightly tester results. Please XFAIL any dejagnu tests that are
currently failing, fix any warnings, and review the results of the full
llvm test suite. If a test failure is determined to be something that
needs to be fixed before the release, please fix it or file a bugzilla
bug, and set the target to 1.9.

Any enhancements scheduled for the 1.9 release should go in ASAP. This
work should be completed before November 6th. Please try to avoid checking
in large changes right before the deadline.

I will be creating the 1.9 release branch on November 6th at 9:00PM PST.

Reminder of Release Schedule:

* October 30, 2006: Email sent out asking platform maintainers to XFAIL
   tests, check for regression/file bugs, and check in any final stuff for
   the release.
* November 6, 2006: Code freeze and release branch created. Documentation
   revisions.
* November 13, 2006: Pre-release online for testing
* November 20, 2006: Release

Tanya

Re: 1 Week before 1.9 Branch Creation

Andrew Lenharth
> It is now 1 week before I will create the 1.9 release branch.

When will the front end stablize relative to this?  It would help in
tracking down failures if the front end was frozen a bit before
everything else.

Andrew

Re: 1 Week before 1.9 Branch Creation

Anton Vayvod
Hi, Tanya!

>* November 6, 2006: Code freeze and release branch created. Documentation
>  revisions.
Does it mean that I can commit my changes to LLVM until November 6?

Thanks.

Tony.

Re: 1 Week before 1.9 Branch Creation

Tanya Lattner-2

>> * November 6, 2006: Code freeze and release branch created. Documentation
>>   revisions.
> Does it mean that I can commit my changes to LLVM until November 6?

This means that if you want anything included in the 1.9 release it needs
to be checked into cvs before November 6th. For large changes, its better
to check the changes as soon as possible (at the latest a couple days
before November 6th) so that the various nightly testers have a chance to
test it.

On November 6th, I will create a release branch. After I am done, anything
checked into mainline cvs will be for the next release.

Make sense?

-Tanya

> Thanks.
>
> Tony.

Re: 1 Week before 1.9 Branch Creation

Tanya Lattner-2

>> It is now 1 week before I will create the 1.9 release branch.
>
> When will the front end stablize relative to this?  It would help in
> tracking down failures if the front end was frozen a bit before
> everything else.

Thats a good suggestion.

In the past we have done a code freeze and branch creation for the
front-end and back-end at the same time. I'll talk to Chris about this
issue. Perhaps for this release we will freeze the front-end 3-4 days
before the back-end. If thats not enough time, for future releases we
could do a week offset between the two.

-Tanya