1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

12

1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Tanya Lattner-2

I've put the pre-release tar balls here:
http://llvm.org/prereleases/1.7/

I'm asking for help to test this release and to review documentation. If anyone
can spare some time to help out, I would really appreciate it. The more people
that test, the better this release will be.

Secondly, now that the tarballs have been created, everyone is free to check in
documentation changes into the the release branch (and cvs main too). For
code changes, please check them into mainline CVS, then email me to let
me know that they should be pulled into the release.

For testing, we would like a mix of people to do x86 and ppc. Please send email
to the list if you plan to test, what architecture, and if you will use the
llvm-gcc binary or compile it yourself. That way, I know who to expect results
from.

Here are some basic guidelines.

1) Build and install llvmgcc, or use the binary.
2) Build llvm. It would be great if some could do objdir != srcdir and vice
versa. You could also try doing a make install.
3) Once everything is ready, run make check (report results)
4) Lastly, run the tests in llvm-test. Report results.

I know this may be a bit rushed, but if the testing and documentation
review could be completed by April 18th, that would be great. Please
either commit updates to the documentation, or mail patches to the
llvmbugs list. Future releases will be more organized and provide more
time for testing. I know everyone has busy schedules, so I appreciate all
the help.

Thanks,
Tanya

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Joseph Altea
Hi I am doing work on a powerPC based Openbsd 3.8 system iBookg4 and on OpenBSD 3.8 i386. Are these supported in the build system yet. I got 1.6 to build but the gcc-llvm was a no go in configure except by gentle hand building each section and figuring out what it wanted as I went...
I notice Support for OpenBSD 2.8 which is quite dated... I am using pro-Police compiler GCC 3.3 but would like to use some of the benifits of llvm on the MacPPC's/i386 on a more modern version of Canadian OpenBSD 3.8 or 3.9 is good too. WHat can I do? Who build your current config script can I talk with them?

Where is llvmgcc built from?? I am only interested in C builds, I do not need C++ or java or others.

thanks so much for any pointers or help. :) regards, IVO(josephAltea)

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Tanya Lattner wrote:
> For testing, we would like a mix of people to do x86 and ppc. Please send
> email to the list if you plan to test, what architecture, and if you will use
> the llvm-gcc binary or compile it yourself. That way, I know who to expect
> results from.

I will test on Darwin/PPC, I'll try the precompiled llvmgcc, objdir !=
srcdir.

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Bill Wendling
Hi Tanya,

Attached are the "make check" results from my machine Darwin
Bill-Wendlings-Computer.local 8.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.0: Tue
Mar  7 16:58:48 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.70.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
Macintosh powerpc

I'll have the llvm-test results available later.

-bw

check.out (8K) Download Attachment

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Joseph Altea
 I would like to test but the I modigied the configure
to make unknown = OpenBSD and Unix and go pretty far but
it died right after 'supports mkdir' yes...
then the next line was 'your system is unsupported''
I have gcc 3.3 on OpenBSD 3.3 pro-police stack compiler...
I am only really interested in testing the C/C++ but C primarily
for my work.
regards, Joseph Altea

Chris Lattner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Tanya Lattner wrote:
> For testing, we would like a mix of people to do x86 and ppc. Please send
> email to the list if you plan to test, what architecture, and if you will use
> the llvm-gcc binary or compile it yourself. That way, I know who to expect
> results from.

I will test on Darwin/PPC, I'll try the precompiled llvmgcc, objdir !=
srcdir.

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Joseph Altea
Are us on Mac OSX or GNU Darwin without apple OS...
I am trying to get it going on OpenBSD 3.8/3.9 latest but
seems that the compiler boffs on this system... Should I send
the configure output-- could anybody maybe have a hint about why
its blowing up...?
regards, Joseph Altea

Bill Wendling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tanya,

Attached are the "make check" results from my machine Darwin
Bill-Wendlings-Computer.local 8.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.0: Tue
Mar 7 16:58:48 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.70.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
Macintosh powerpc

I'll have the llvm-test results available later.

-bw

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Chris Lattner
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Joseph Altea wrote:
> Are us on Mac OSX or GNU Darwin without apple OS...
> I am trying to get it going on OpenBSD 3.8/3.9 latest but
> seems that the compiler boffs on this system... Should I send
> the configure output-- could anybody maybe have a hint about why
> its blowing up...?

To my knowledge noone has tried to get LLVM to work on OpenBSD yet.  I'm
sorry it doesn't work for you out of the box, but if you'd like to
investigate and contribute patches to make it work, we would be happy to
apply them to mainline CVS.  LLVM 1.7 is not going to take patches to add
new supported platforms.

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Ralph Corderoy

Hi Josephm

> I would like to test but the I modigied the configure to make unknown
> = OpenBSD and Unix and go pretty far but it died right after 'supports
> mkdir' yes...

Could that have been `checking for mkdir...'?

> then the next line was 'your system is unsupported''

Have you looked at ./config.log.  ./configure creates this as it runs as
a trace of the path it took through ./configure.  Work backwards from
the end to find out what it didn't like.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS.  Could you quote text you're replying to as otherwise it can make
reading the email a little confusing.

Re: OpenBSD. (Was: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing)

Ralph Corderoy

Hi again,

I wrote:
> > I would like to test but the I modigied the configure to make
> > unknown = OpenBSD and Unix
>
> Have you looked at ./config.log.  ./configure creates this as it runs
> as a trace of the path it took through ./configure.  Work backwards
> from the end to find out what it didn't like.

I remember SourceForge's compile farm has an OpenBSD x86 machine so
thought I'd give it a go with a recent CVS check-out.

    $ ./configure
    configure: WARNING: Unknown project (HowToUseJIT) won't be configured automatically
    configure: WARNING: Unknown project (ModuleMaker) won't be configured automatically
    configure: WARNING: Unknown project (SmallExamples) won't be configured automatically
    checking build system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.8
    checking host system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.8
    checking target system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.8
    checking type of operating system we're on... Unknown
    configure: error: Operating system is unknown, configure can't continue

LLVM's configure.ac has a hard-coded list of supported platforms, which
is a shame, and `openbsd' isn't in it.

    [case $build in
      *-*-aix*)
        llvm_cv_os_type="AIX"
        llvm_cv_platform_type="Unix" ;;
      *-*-freebsd*)
        llvm_cv_os_type="FreeBSD"
        llvm_cv_platform_type="Unix" ;;

So I forged `freebsd'

    $ ./configure --build=i386-unknown-freebsd3.8

and ./configure completed successfully.  gmake stopped with

    llvm[1]: Compiling Mutex.cpp for Debug build
    Mutex.cpp:55: warning: the address of `int pthread_mutex_init(volatile
       pthread_mutex**, pthread_mutex_attr* const*)', will always be `true'
    Mutex.cpp: In constructor `llvm::sys::Mutex::Mutex(bool)':
    Mutex.cpp:80: error: `pthread_mutexattr_setpshared' undeclared (first use this
       function)
    Mutex.cpp:80: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
       function it appears in.)

    78  #ifndef __FreeBSD__
    79      // Make it a process local mutex
    80      errorcode = pthread_mutexattr_setpshared(&attr, PTHREAD_PROCESS_PRIVATE);
    81  #endif

So I modified both occurrences of __FreeBSD__ to also check for
__OpenBSD__.

The next problem was INT8_MAX, etc., weren't being defined.
include/llvm/Support/DataTypes.h.in is inadequate for this platform.  I
dumped a set of definitions into each file that wanted them as a bodge.
Better autoconf tests could set up INT8_MAX, etc., on all platforms that
don't define them.

After that, the build completed and I could run llvm-{as,dis} and lli.

So with a little work, OpenBSD looks like it could be supported out of
the box.  I've only a low-bandwidth Internet connection at the moment so
it won't be by me but is there a `how to submit a patch for LLVM'
document somewhere?

Cheers,

Ralph.

Re: OpenBSD. (Was: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing)

Jeff Cohen
I just added __OpenBSD__ everywhere __FreeBSD__ was being tested (there
were about a dozen places).  I suspect we'll have to add one for NetBSD
also one day (even DragonflyBSD?).  INT8_MAX and friends ought to be
declared by <stdint.h>.  It is on FreeBSD.

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> [...]
>
>So I modified both occurrences of __FreeBSD__ to also check for
>__OpenBSD__.
>
>The next problem was INT8_MAX, etc., weren't being defined.
>include/llvm/Support/DataTypes.h.in is inadequate for this platform.  I
>dumped a set of definitions into each file that wanted them as a bodge.
>Better autoconf tests could set up INT8_MAX, etc., on all platforms that
>don't define them.
>
>After that, the build completed and I could run llvm-{as,dis} and lli.
>
>So with a little work, OpenBSD looks like it could be supported out of
>the box.  I've only a low-bandwidth Internet connection at the moment so
>it won't be by me but is there a `how to submit a patch for LLVM'
>document somewhere?
>
>Cheers,
>

>Ralph.

Re: OpenBSD. (Was: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing)

I'll Check it out.. is it in the CVS or the release yet.. or how do I apply a patch to it... thanks much for the update.. I'll feel better about the whole thing..OpenBSD is really nice with the pro-police stack and would like to see an alternative to the GCC only compiler chain of tools especially as it is based on a somewhat archaic optiminzation backend and procedural stuff is pretty dated in the RTL layer.. Aho and Ullman can only take you so far..
Then you need to use the FORCE.. LUKE use the force.. of llvm that is.
:) cheers all.

Jeff Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just added __OpenBSD__ everywhere __FreeBSD__ was being tested (there
were about a dozen places). I suspect we'll have to add one for NetBSD
also one day (even DragonflyBSD?). INT8_MAX and friends ought to be
declared by . It is on FreeBSD.

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> [...]
>
>So I modified both occurrences of __FreeBSD__ to also check for
>__OpenBSD__.
>
>The next problem was INT8_MAX, etc., weren't being defined.
>include/llvm/Support/DataTypes.h.in is inadequate for this platform. I
>dumped a set of definitions into each file that wanted them as a bodge.
>Better autoconf tests could set up INT8_MAX, etc., on all platforms that
>don't define them.
>
>After that, the build completed and I could run llvm-{as,dis} and lli.
>
>So with a little work, OpenBSD looks like it could be supported out of
>the box. I've only a low-bandwidth Internet connection at the moment so
>it won't be by me but is there a `how to submit a patch for LLVM'
>document somewhere?
>
>Cheers,
>

>Ralph.

Re: OpenBSD. (Was: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing)

CVS.  I doubt it will be pulled into the imminent 1.7 release.  I didn't
make any configure changes; Reid will have to do that.

Joseph Altea wrote:

> [...]
>     out of
>     >the box. I've only a low-bandwidth Internet connection at the
>     moment so
>     >it won't be by me but is there a `how to submit a patch for LLVM'
>     >document somewhere?
>     >
>     >Cheers,
>     >
>     >
>     >Ralph.
>     >
>     >
>     >_______________________________________________
>     >LLVM Developers mailing list
>     >[hidden email] http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >

Re: OpenBSD. (Was: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing)

Hi Jeff,

> I just added __OpenBSD__ everywhere __FreeBSD__ was being tested
> (there were about a dozen places).  I suspect we'll have to add one
> for NetBSD also one day (even DragonflyBSD?).

Thanks.  Although it would be better to come up with a autoconf test for
the feature than keep maintaining the #ifdefs, etc.

> INT8_MAX and friends ought to be declared by <stdint.h>.  It is on
> FreeBSD.

That file doesn't exist on this OpenBSD 3.8 installation.  And that
symbol doesn't exist under /usr/include.  I guess it's not uncommon
given things like
http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/ax_create_stdint_h.html

Cheers,

Ralph.

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Robert L. Bocchino Jr.
I'll test on Darwin/PPC, precompiled llvmgcc, objdir == srcdir.

Rob

On Apr 16, 2006, at 1:42 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Tanya Lattner wrote:
For testing, we would like a mix of people to do x86 and ppc. Please send email to the list if you plan to test, what architecture, and if you will use the llvm-gcc binary or compile it yourself. That way, I know who to expect results from.

I will test on Darwin/PPC, I'll try the precompiled llvmgcc, objdir != srcdir.

Robert L. Bocchino Jr.

Ph.D. Student, Computer Science

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Rogelio Serrano
On 4/16/06, Tanya Lattner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've put the pre-release tar balls here:
> http://llvm.org/prereleases/1.7/

The build failed on i686-pc-linux-gnu.

llvm[2]: Flexing FileLexer.l
llvm[2]: Compiling FileLexer.cpp for Release build
/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen/FileLexer.l: In function
'int Filelex()':
/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen/FileLexer.l:205: error:
'STRCONCATTOK' was not declared in this scope
Lexer.cpp: In function 'int yy_get_next_buffer()':
Lexer.cpp:1369: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
integer expressions
make[2]: *** [/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen/Release/FileLexer.o]
Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils'
make: *** [all] Error 1

any suggestions how to debug this?

Krgds,
Roger

On 4/19/06, Rogelio Serrano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/16/06, Tanya Lattner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I've put the pre-release tar balls here:
> > http://llvm.org/prereleases/1.7/
> >

> The build failed on i686-pc-linux-gnu.
>
> llvm[2]: Flexing FileLexer.l
> llvm[2]: Compiling FileLexer.cpp for Release build
> /home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen/FileLexer.l: In function
> 'int Filelex()':
> /home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen/FileLexer.l:205: error:
> 'STRCONCATTOK' was not declared in this scope
> Lexer.cpp: In function 'int yy_get_next_buffer()':
> Lexer.cpp:1369: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
> integer expressions
> make[2]: *** [/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen/Release/FileLexer.o]
> Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils/TableGen'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rogelio/Desktop/llvm/utils'
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> any suggestions how to debug this?
>
> Krgds,
> Roger

Ialready figured it out. I ran the build in the source dir.
--
www.smsglobal.net SMS Global Ltd Short Message Service For Seafarers

On 4/19/06, Patrick Meredith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I haven't seen anyone claim x86 linux objdir == srcdir, so I'll test it out.
>  Missed the 18th,but I'll try to have it done asap.
>

> On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Robert L. Bocchino Jr. wrote:
> I'll test on Darwin/PPC, precompiled llvmgcc, objdir == srcdir.
>
> Rob

Sorry for being ambiguous.

x86 builds only if srcdir != objdir. otherwise you get the error i had earlier.

--
www.smsglobal.net SMS Global Ltd Short Message Service For Seafarers

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Patrick Meredith
I already successfully built with srcdir == objdir.  I assumed you
meant that
you did srcdir != objdir and accidently typed make in your srcdir (or
something
I'm not really up to speed on the whole objdir != srcdir thing
because I've always
been dirty and built in my src directories).

On Apr 19, 2006, at 2:19 AM, Rogelio Serrano wrote:

> On 4/19/06, Patrick Meredith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I haven't seen anyone claim x86 linux objdir == srcdir, so I'll
>> test it out.
>>  Missed the 18th,but I'll try to have it done asap.
>>

>> On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Robert L. Bocchino Jr. wrote:
>> I'll test on Darwin/PPC, precompiled llvmgcc, objdir == srcdir.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Sorry for being ambiguous.
>
> x86 builds only if srcdir != objdir. otherwise you get the error i
> had earlier.
>
> --
> www.smsglobal.net SMS Global Ltd Short Message Service For Seafarers

Re: 1.7 Pre-Release Ready for Testing

Patrick Meredith
I have flex version 2.5.31, gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13),
and am obviously using Debian.
I would assume that the reason your build fails and mine succeeds in
due to one (or more) of those
things being different ;-)